Chapter 10

I received an urgent summons from the Hokage and stood in his office fuming. "Where are they?"

Hiruzen hesitated, not used to seeing this side of me. "All I have are these details here. I will dispa-"

I snatched the scroll from his desk and walked out. "We'll be fine." I hurried to Shisui and Hinata. "We have to go... they have Aya."

I tossed the scroll to Shisui, who frowned and nodded. "Let's move."

We were passing the gates as Minato and Itachi fell into view. "Lord Hokage sent us as aid."

I didn't have time to argue, so I nodded. "Just don't get in the way... or slow us down." We rushed into the trees, and I felt a familiar chakra in the distance. "Go ahead, we'll catch up. Hinata and Shisui nodded as I veered off. Luckily, Minato and Itachi got the hint.

I landed in front of my old friend. "We don't have time for pleasantries, Aya's been captured."

Ryo frowned and hurried after me as I doubled my pace to catch the others. "Who?"

My anger only grew at the thought. "Rock nin." He scowled, and we caught up to the others. "We'll be there soon. What's the plan?"

Shisui frowned. "An ambush is impossible. Negotiations are unlikely."

Hinata nodded in understanding. "Eliminate and recover." Minato looked at her in wonder but said nothing.

We neared the encampment, and Hinata activated her Byuakugan. "Five enemy nin in the camp, but Aya isn't there. She looked farther, "15 kilometers, she's there with 10 more."

Shisui thought for a moment. "Me, you, and Hinata will face these 5. They are expecting us. You three will ambush the party of 10." We all nodded and dispersed. He looked at me warily. "We have to distract them first."

I frowned. "I'll try not to kill them too quickly." We quieted as we entered the encampment. "I was sent for... where's my friend?"

The five nin looked up at us in surprise and scrambled. "We won't tell you til we have what we want."

I placed a hand on my hip and heard a low static coming from his ear. "Tell your buddies if they harm her... you all die."

The apparent leader looked at me, shocked. "They can hear you just fine."

I heard a voice come over, but not what it said. "So... what is it that you want exactly?  I don't have all day."

The leader sneered. "Really demanding for someone in your position."

My patience was running thin. "And what position is that exactly..." I saw his surprise at my change in demeanor. "Tell me what you want so we can end this."

He recovered. "Now... you, I'm sure to enjoy..."

I resisted the urge to enter his mind, knowing it would push me over the edge. "Have you done those things with Aya?" I knew his possible answer would end the farce, but I had to know.

He smirked. "Couldn't... we were told not to touch the girl until we had what we wanted. We received no such orders for you." I felt relief knowing Aya hadn't been harmed, but I was losing my composure.

My saving grace came in the form of shouting over his headset. "Just in time..." I didn't hesitate to unleash my chakra threads into each of the mens' hearts and felt satisfaction as they crumpled to the ground.

Shisui started to move forward. "Let's help the others." I followed, feeling the bile rise in my throat. If they hurt her...

All the nin was incapacitated by the time we arrived, and I went straight to Aya. "Did they hurt you?"

The happiness in her eyes was evident. "You came!" She hugged me, and I froze. "I knew you would, but..."

I hesitantly hugged her back. "I'm sorry, I should have come for you."

She pulled back, smiling. "No, you couldn't have known." She looked at her rescuers. "Thank you all."

Minato looked at the men sprawled on the ground. "What do we do with them?"

I shrugged. "Kill them." With that, Ryo and Shisui moved to the men closest to them.

Minato shook his head. "But..."

I frowned at him. "But?"

He gave me a long look before looking away. "Nothing."

I tilted my head. "You three go ahead with Hinata. We'll take care of things here." I pondered at Minato's hesitation but turned to the unconscious men scattered on the ground. "Ryo, Shisui, we need answers before we kill them." They both nodded, and we got to work.

It was 30 minutes before we caught up to Minato's group. Aya smiled as soon as we arrived. "Everything went well?"

I placed a hand on my hip. "Yes and no."

She sighed. "Well, hopefully it isn't urgent."

I shook my head. "Not at all. Luckily, it looks like this fight is nonexistent. Kidnapping you was unnecessary."

She frowned. "Then why?"

I shifted my weight. "They wanted to prove their worth, how unfortunate they chose the wrong target. If their leader has any questions, they came come to me."

Aya glanced behind us. "Very unfortunate."

Itachi looked at us curiously. "You don't think they'll retaliate?"

I shook my head. "You remember when you went to the Sand with us?" He simply nodded, but Minato seemed uncomfortable.

I sighed. "Minato..."

His gaze was sad. "None of you seem bothered that you killed 15 men."

My group exchanged glances, and Shisui shrugged. "It's not that we are not impacted, but if we let them live... others would get ideas of how to hurt us."

He looked at Hinata. "And you?"

She thought a moment. "I didn't actually kill anyone, but if I had to... I would have to save her. She's like a big sister to me."

He frowned at me. "So... you've killed many?"

I met his gaze unwavering. "Do you want the truth?" He nodded. "I have killed countless, tortured many, and maimed a handful. However, everyone who has been harmed by me has committed an act that warranted it. I don't find pleasure in hurting others or taking someone's loved one away."

He was still unsatisfied. "Do you regret any of them?"

I shook my head. "I haven't figured out what the feeling of regret is, however, for each one if I had to do it again... I would, without hesitation." I watched as the dismay in his eyes grew, and he looked away. Minato... I can't see why you disapprove...