Chapter 33

I walked briskly, hoping to avoid the early morning foot traffic. I sighed in relief when I finally made it and removed my clothes. I pulled out some salve and began to apply it to the welts on my legs.

I sucked in a breath as I pulled on black pants. Dammit... I set to work on my torso and was struggling to reach my back when a hand swiped the ointment off my fingers and assisted. I covered my chest as I spun, and Itachi looked away, blushing.

I frowned at him. "What are you doing here?"

He looked out of the corner of his eye when I pulled on a tank top and grimaced. "Was this because of yesterday?"

I scowled at him. "And if it is?"

His eyes widened a bit. "You shouldn't have pried."

I frowned. "What you have... is it curable?"

He averted his gaze. "I don't know."

I huffed. "You can't lie to me."

He looked at me and sighed. "It has a chance of being cured... but a slim one."

I reached for his hand. "Even a small chance is better than nothing."

He glared at me and withdrew it. "Why?"

I bit my lip as my I did the same. "I don't want you to die."

His expression softened. "You would rather have me watch as you marry Shisui." I opened my mouth to respond but closed it again. "I know you want to avoid a conflict."

I lowered my gaze. "Itachi..."

He lifted my chin with his finger. "I never wanted you to leave the village and stayed when you asked. I'm asking you not to do this."

I closed my eyes, unable to meet his gaze. "Why? Why is this more important than the lives at stake?"

I felt his breath on my face, and my eyes snapped open. When did he move?   "I was asked to massacre them for Sasuke's safety before you intervened... I would've done it then. For this... I would do it now."

I couldn't breathe, but I couldn't move away either. He moved closer until his face was hovering just above mine. Instinctively, my eyelids began to fall, and his lips barely brushed against mine when there was a crash at the door.

We jumped away from each other and looked toward the footsteps coming towards us. "Sis! That strange lady said you'd be here!"

I silently thanked him as I could still the whisper of Itachi's lips against mine. Too close... no more alone time for you two. "Naruto, so you're back from your mission."

Agreed. I scowled at both as Naruto and Sasuke entered. "Didn't know he'd be here too." Naruto frowned at Itachi, who was now sitting a distance away.

Sasuke looked between us. "Interrupting something?"

Itachi 'hn'd' as I shook my head. "How was the mission?"

Naruto plopped on the piano bench. "Soooo boring. Had to get a bunch of farm animals."

I chuckled. "So those are considered missions."

Sasuke glanced at my arms. "What happened to you?"

I looked down and grabbed a long sleeve shirt, masking the grimace as I put it on. "Doesn't matter now."

Naruto clapped my shoulder, not thinking. "You think something like this would keep my sister down?"

I bit my lip and gently pulled his hand away. "Little Bird... why have you come looking for me?"

He scratched the back of his head, smiling. "When we got home, that lady was there. She said she came with you. You have some weird friends."

I tilted my head. "They're not weird."

He scoffed. "Really? This lady was sitting on the floor with her eyes wide open, not seeing anything."

I rolled my eyes. "Meditating."

He did the same. "You close your eyes for that."

I sighed. "Well, you found me. What can I do for you two?"

Naruto grinned. "Come meet the rest of my team."

I smiled. "Okay, just let me finish up here."

He fist pumped the air, then hugged me. "Thanks!"

I suppressed a groan, dropping my head and patting his back. "Yeah..."

He rushed back out, but Sasuke hung back. "You should probably get those looked at."

I smiled weakly. "They won't be able to help with these... I'm fine."

He frowned slightly. "If you say so." He pushed off the wall and trailed after Naruto. I took a breath as the stinging subsided.

"Why can't they help?"

I didn't look at Itachi. "Because my chakra is different." And no longer compatible...

Chihiro frowned. It's just stronger, not incompatible. Itachi gingerly pulled up a sleeve. "From the Nine Tails?"

I shook my head. "It's complicated."

He furrowed his brow. "How?"

I pulled my arm away and pulled off the shirt, breathing a sigh of relief. "Tell me what's wrong with you first."

He watched as I carefully applied the salve to my arms. "My lungs are... complicated."

I raised an eyebrow at him. "And what treatment would work?" He averted his gaze. "Itachi... don't make me search for an answer."

He sighed. "You promised not without my permission."

I pulled his face toward me. "If it will keep you alive... I'll do it."

He took one of my hands from his face. "It's an herbal mixture, but the plants are hard to obtain."

I nodded. "Give me a list."

He studied my hand. "Don't marry him."

I frowned and forced him to look at me. "Compromise... you give me a list and if I can get the medicine to you, you will take it. And I... have to marry him, but it will be nothing more than an agreement... it will never be consummated by me."

He frowned. "That doesn't seem fair."

I gazed at him intently. "You asked me to trust you... I'm asking you to do the same."

He was silent for a moment and kissed the hand he had been studying before meeting my eyes. "I trust you." Now this definitely has to work...