Chapter 18

The sun was just peeking over the horizon when I snuck into Minato's house. I took a quick shower and grabbed some things before I crept back out. I went to the music shop and finished getting ready for the day. I donned black fishnet tights and shorts with above-the-knee black boots. I shrugged on a royal purple dress that had black and white flowers scattered on it.

I paused and looked at myself in a mirror. What to do with my hair... I wrapped my chakra chain in three different length loops around myself and turned to the mirror. Taking a seat, I set to work braiding the left side of my head. When I finished, clipped black, white, and purple flower pins where the braids ended and brushed out my curls.

I turned in the mirror, noting that it was long enough to reach my butt. "Needs to be cut." You never do it.

I scowled at the fox. You never show up when I need you anymore.

He chuckled. I don't deal in human love issues.

I stuck my tongue out at him. A lot of help you are.

He shrugged as I returned my attention to my reflection. I threw on a black leather jacket that had silver adornments and pulled my hair out of it as I exited. I locked the door behind me and ran into a body.

I took a few steps back. "Sorry."

I looked up and saw Itachi, with Izumi wrapped around his arm. "It's fine."

I looked between the two of them and turned to leave. "See you at the graduation."

I need to get out of this village... I saw Aya and Hinata as I approached the Academy. "Where are the boys?"

Hinata smiled. "Looking for you."

I frowned. "Did they think I'd forget?" They both shrugged.

"Chihiro? Where were you? Everyone was worried."

I turned and smiled at Minato. "Trying to get some air, but I'm here now."

He nodded. "Naruto and Sasuke said you'd come. They have a lot of confidence in you."

I tilted my head. "I never go back in my word."

I saw Ryo and Shisui heading towards us and suppressed the need to frown. "Hey, you made it."

I nodded. "Wouldn't miss this for anything." Shisui hung back a bit. Good. I turned toward Minato. "Ready?" He nodded, and we went into the ceremony.

When it was over, we waited for the boys outside. Sasuke's parents came up to us, and Mikoto hugged me tightly. "Such a wonderful day. You look beautiful, Chihiro."

I smiled as we pulled away. "As do you. I'm happy to be here for it."

She looked around, and her eyes paused before returning her gaze to me. "Seems I'm not the only one who thinks so."

I resisted the urge to look around me. "I'm not sure what you mean."

She giggled. "Seems the boys can't take their eyes off you, not just Uchiha either."

I frowned. "I've had enough of boys and their feelings."

She giggled again. "If you say so."

I sighed as Naruto and Sasuke came running up to us. Naruto leaped into my arms. "We did it!"

I laughed. "You are as tall as I am, Little Bird."

He pulled back and beamed, pointing at his headband. "Cool, isn't it, Sis?"

I ruffled his hair. "Of course it is."

Sasuke had a slight smile. "It's too bad you don't get one, Hinata."

She smiled. "I'm okay without it, for now."

He smirked. "Ready to fight?"

She returned his expression. "More than ready."

Naruto fist pumped the air. "Let's do it."

Everyone laughed, and I shook my head at them. "Let's celebrate with our family and friends first, okay?"

The two boys deflated. "Fine..."

Minato chuckled. "I made reservations, let's go."

Sasuke looked around, and his eyes landed on Itachi. "That's... strange." He looked at me. "Are you two fighting?"

I shrugged and glanced at Mikoto. "He'll follow if he knows what's good for him." Sasuke 'hn'd' as we headed toward the restaurant. When we arrived, I smiled. "Guess this is celebration central for us."

We were taken to a private room, and everyone took their seats while I headed toward the piano. I struck a few keys before sitting. To pass the time... I removed my jacket and started playing.

Hinata came and sat beside me silently. I took a breath and closed my eyes. Those two have really grown... I've missed so much. I got lost in my own world. But we had good times too... My fingers glided over the keys effortlessly, and I remembered my two little brothers and the times we shared and the things I missed.

Too soon, the aroma of food made me remember where I was, and I ended the piece I was on. I opened my eyes and saw that all eyes were on me, including the servers who had stopped before serving the food. I smiled and stood to head toward the table, which snapped everyone out of their trance.

The food was placed on the table, and I looked at the remaining seat and withheld a frown. It was between the two Uchiha I wanted to be the furthest away from, but I silently took it and looked at Hinata, who was already seated across from me. She smiled before joining the others in filling her plate.

I put some rice, meat, and vegetables on my own, but now I had little desire to eat it. I pushed the food around and listened as Naruto recounted his final exams. I felt eyes on me and a nudge but didn't acknowledge them. I continued to ignore them as they became more insistent.

Sasuke, who hadn't been listening, was watching me intently. I looked at him and raised an eyebrow. "Have something to say?"

He looked at his brother, then back to me. "So we fight after this, right?"

I smirked. "Itching to get beat?"

He tried to keep his face neutral. "That won't happen."

I smiled devilishly. "We'll see."

Mikoto looked at us. "Chihiro, you haven't eaten anything."

I looked down at my plate. "Not really hungry, sorry."

"When was the last time you ate?" Itachi's voice was clearly annoyed.

I glared at him. "What's it to you?" He frowned but said nothing.

Shisui sighed. "You can't not eat."

I turned my fierce gaze on him. "Not your business either."

His frown matched Itachi's. "Just concerned about you."

He moved to put his hand on my arm, and I avoided it. "Let's not..." I was getting agitated with them both. "I'm fine."

Mikoto cleared her throat. "I'm sure she ate before the ceremony. Just take some home with you, can't grow if you don't eat."

I smiled at her. "Will do."

She smiled back. "Can't have my only daughter wasting away." I nodded but said nothing further. She knows something is wrong...