Chapter 38

I stood silent as Shisui made a grand speech about how our union would benefit all of Konoha. I noted that all of the clan had gathered, but three was a division among them as well. Shisui turned to me. "Chihiro, do you have anything to add?"

I shook my head, Shisui smiled. "So, please sign this treaty so we may move forward with preparations."

When the first man approached, he looked up at me. "All our names won't fit here."

I nodded. "But all your thumbprints will. It's a blood treaty."

He frowned. "And if I refuse."

I smiled. "Then there would be no point in this marriage." He frowned at me but bit his thumb and pressed it firmly to the parchment. Everyone behind him did the same. The last step up was the head family.

Sasuke frowned up at me. "Chichi..."

I shook my head. "Thank you, Sasuke, but it's necessary." He nodded solemnly and placed his print on the paper. Mikoto and Fugako did the same.

When Itachi approached, Shisui swung his arm around my shoulders. "Last, but not least."

I pushed his arm away, never taking my eyes off Itachi. "Shisui, stop."

Itachi bit his thumb, hate evident as he looked at his cousin, and placed it on the parchment. "Congrats..." He walked away to stand with his family, and Shisui smirked. He tried to grab my hand, but I pulled it away. As Shisui went to thank the gathered, I picked up the scroll and stowed it away.

When he finally finished, I turned to leave. "Where are you going?"

I gave Shisui a blank look. "We're done here."

He frowned. "We should celebrate."

I looked at the people gathering behind him. "I'll pass." As I turned to leave again, he grabbed my arm. "Shisui, I made it clear last night that this is nothing more than a political arrangement. Please don't make it seem like something else."

He released my arm, scowling. "I would think you'd be happy it didn't have to come to bloodshed."

I sighed. "There are times I wish it had." He looked shocked as I turned my back to him and walked away. You handled that well... sure you want to be stuck with him.

Chihiro smiled. He'll do just fine, but this is just what I said. It will take time for it to be otherwise.

We returned the scroll to Yua. "Seems everything went well."

I shrugged. "They signed. That's the important part."

She studied me. "He didn't notice the slight change?"

I rolled my eyes. "He was more focused on rubbing in his victory."

She nodded. "Good."

The door opened, and we both looked. I moved to the front of the shop. "Itachi... still stalking I see." He looked behind me and said nothing.

Yua came beside me. "Do you really think this is wise?"

I looked back and forth between the two as they stared at each other. "I'll only be a bit... can you wait outside?" Itachi gave a slight nod and left. "What was that about?"

She looked down at me. "You should avoid that man."

I tilted my head. "Itachi? He's just concerned and probably got an earful from his mom about me eating on top of that. Is there anything you require of me?"

She frowned. "No, but don't let him get too close... either of you." I nodded and smiled as I opened the door.

Itachi looked back into the shop as I closed it. "Who is she?"

I blinked. "My sensei and a friend."

"Hn." He grabbed my hand and led me to the dango shop. "I don't trust her."

I sat across from him. "Why?"

He frowned slightly. "I don't know."

I waved my hand nonchalantly. "She's fine... for now. She is right, though. This isn't smart." I tilted my head toward the people around us.

He didn't bother to look. "What can they say? We've always been friends."

I sat back. "If you say so."

Chieko came up to the table. "If it isn't my favorite duo."

I smiled up at her. "How have you been?"

She returned the smile. "Busy as always... I heard you're engaged, a political matter."  I sighed and pouted. "That's unfortunate, but you're safe here."

Itachi gave her a small smile. "Thank you."

She smiled at him. "The usual?" He nodded, and she went to place our orders for us.

I was pouring us tea when two Uchiha clansmen came to the table. "Itachi, Shisui is coming with company." He nodded, and they left.

I looked at him curiously. "What are you going to do?"

He shrugged. "Eat. You look different."

I tilted my head. "How so?"

He looked me over. "It doesn't matter." Just as he finished, Shisui approached the table.

Neither of us looked up at him. "So, this is how you spend your time? Disrespecting your engagement in broad daylight?"

I sipped my tea. "I'm not disrespecting anything." He slammed his hand on the table, making several patrons look our way. I'll take it from here. "I suggest you not embarrass yourself, Shisui."

Itachi gave me a curious look, but Shisui blocked his view. "Me embarrass myself? You sit here with him while I'm having people look for you."

I gave him a deadly glare. "I'm not hard to find, I'm not hiding from you. Now you either sit and join us or leave. I don't care which."

He grabbed my arm. "We are leaving."

I didn't budge. "I would let me go."

His grip tightened. "Or wh-"

I quickly grabbed his wrist and pinned him to the wall. "I don't know who you think you are, but never forget who I am. Engaged or not, I will end you and let the cards fall where they may."

I pushed away from him and sat back down. He rubbed his wrist. "You think this is a game."

I calmly picked up my tea. "No more than you do."

He glared at Itachi. "And you?" Chieko sat our plates down and looked between us.

Itachi picked up a skewer. "Am eating."

I gestured for Cheiko to move away. "Shisui, I will say it one more time, stay or go. Stop causing a scene." He moved to flip the table, and I waved my hand toward the door, using wind chakra to knock him out of the shop. He wants a fight, I'll give it to him...