Chapter Twenty-Seven

CHAPTER TWENTY- SEVEN

RAYNE

When we returned to the Westercliffs, an army of clouds invaded the sky. Tiny drops of pink liquid fell into my hair. I looked up. It was going to rain any second. It always tended to drizzle pink rainwater before a shower. It was also a little stickier than rainwater on Earth. 

"Okay, Rayne. Let's do this," Camden said. "Think of your rejection from drama school," she continued. "How did that make you feel?"

The clouds darkened. I liked the eerie sky. I loved stormy weather. It always intensified my anger.

"Angry," I replied.

"Okay, focus on that."

I started to reminisce about the rejection letter I had recieved from the drama school. I could see it in my head. The words "We cannot offer you admission at this time" were burned into my brain, like a hot brand. I wanted to crush the person who signed the letter, but I stopped that thought. I wasn't a killer.

"Okay, Rayne. Now think about the cop who arrested you. How does that make you feel?"

"Angry!" I shouted.

The cop actually didn't bother me that much, because he helped me escape. He was the reason I wasn't in prison. Instead, I thought about the correctional officer who had beaten me when he brought me in. I thought of his body exploding like a balloon. Maybe I was a killer after all.

"Okay, now try moving that rock again," Camden ordered.

My kneeled onto the damp grass. I closed my eyes. Electricity pulsed through my veins. I thought of the correctional officer again. The rock started to slowly hoover over the ground. I still wasn't strong enough yet. I had trouble keeping the rock floating above the ground. I opened my eyes again.

"You can do it, Rayne," she cheered. "Think of Dr. Marks and how he made you look like a fool in front of everyone."

Dr. Marks' face appeared in my brain. Again, his presence made my blood pressure rise to its maximum level. I wanted to destroy him. This anger made the electricity flowing through my veins stronger. I was able to move the rock horizontally over toward the sand. I couldn't believe I was actually doing it. 

The rock was a lot heavier than the tub had been. I knew Camden was trying to get me to push my limits. I panted. All my energy was depleting at a rapid pace. If I didn't get the rock to drop on the shore soon, it would end up somewhere it wasn't supposed to be.

"You're almost there!" Camden's shouting sounded like background music playing in the back of my brain.

My lungs were sinking inside my chest as I struggled to take a breath, and my head was pounding like someone had thrown a brick at it. I wasn't going to last for much longer. 

I moved my hand a few inches, moving the rock slowly toward the shore. It was almost there. Come on Rayne, you've got this. Violently, I swiped my hand side to side, and the rock dropped in the middle of the sand. The rock made a soft boom as it was dropped, and sand flew up into the air.

Once the rock was down, I fell backward, my bottom landing on the damp grass. My eyes fluttered shut. I stretched out my body, in an attempt to relax myself. I was so tired, and I didn't feel like getting up.

Camden ran over to me with a look of concern on her face. "Are you okay?"

I sighed. "I'm fine." 

"See, I knew you could do it." Her worry disappeared, and a grin formed on her face.

I scrambled to find enough energy to sit myself up. Groaning, I started to lift my upper half off the mucky grass. My hands sunk into the ground as I started to sit up. I looked up at Camden, the grin on her face had widened. 

"You were right," I muttered, looking up at the sky. Drops of rainwater hit my face. It was cool and refreshing. I realized Camden had been right. "I guess my rage is the answer to my power dysfunction issue."

EDITED: 01/31/2020