Chapter Sixty

CHAPTER SIXTY

AYA

Rayne, Lake, and I had returned to the entrance. I noticed that Lake was staring straight at Rayne. Even as artless as I had been, I had sensed that something was going on between the two of them. Or it could just be nothing and Lake was just trying to calm Rayne down.

 "I'm so sorry about Nova and Hayes," Lake embraced Rayne in a warm hug.

Tears started to run down her face. "I should have protected her."

I also put my hand on Rayne's shoulder. "You did the best you could."

"They are both dead. I don't deserve to be here. I should be dead too." Rayne sobbed.

"If you were dead, we all would be dead," I told her. "You couldn't have possibly predicted that outcome. Even I didn't see it coming."

Camden and the Commander weren't the only threats. Some of the Commander's minions were still up and about. I turned around, just to get a good look at the rest of our group. Trevor was talking to a girl. Upon closer inspection, I realized it was Wren. What was she even doing here? Although I was almost over Trevor completely, it still bugged me.

"Why are you here?" I asked rudely.

"My family heard you were in trouble. After what you did to save my sister. I thought I should come and help." She spoke softly. It was apparent that she didn't want to cause any waves.

After losing Hayes, Piper, and Nova, I learned it was best to forgive and let go of my past. As much as Wren annoyed me, she did come and risk her life to fight with us. I couldn't be mad at the two of them forever.

"Aya, watch out!" Wren shouted.

Before I could think, I was scooped up and moved about twenty-feet. I could feel someone's strong arms hugging me. I looked up. It was my dad.

"That was close, Aya-bug." He playfully tapped my nose.

"What-how...how did you pick me up so quickly?" I asked. "Do you have powers too?"

My dad hesitated. "Something like that. There's a lot about the Thrasher family you don't know about. I tell you all about it, once we are out of the zone of danger." He grabbed my hand. "Let's get inside."

I pulled away. "I can't. I have to finish fighting. I'll be fine. I promise."

I had apprehension about what was going to happen next. The remaining Wyre soldiers were starting to get up. I prepared myself for a battle, but then the strangest thing happened. They started to walk away. Were they surrendering?

I glanced over at Rayne. She shrugged.

"Maybe they're done with us?" Trevor suggested.

Backing away, I started to walk in a circle. "Something's off."

"Of course it is," I heard a maniacal laugh. I knew instantly it was the Commander. "We have everything we need now...well almost."

When I turned my head, I noticed one of the Wyre soldiers had grabbed my father. "Dad—" I called out, but it was too late, they had already taken him.

"Now we have the blood we need." The commander smirked like he had won.

"Wait—I thought you needed the blood of someone from Serina's family," I pointed out.

"Ding-dong! You've won a prize...well actually you haven't," he joked cruelly.