Chapter Forty-Five

CHAPTER FORTY-FIVE

RAYNE

Lake's arm was wrapped around my shoulder as we walked back to the suite. Aya was walking on the other side of her. She seemed to be keeping her distance from me and I can't say I blame her. As we approached the suite, I tried to get a look at her face. It was difficult without making it too obvious. When I finally got a good look, our eyes met for the briefest of seconds before she looked away.

I had been ignoring the soreness in my wrists. They felt as if, they were going to give out on me if I dared to lift them, beside that I was trying to get into Aya's head to avoid processing my own emotions. I was such a big screw up and now none of them would trust me again. Camden had used me. If I wasn't so exhausted, I would had been angry. So angry I would have spiraled out of control again.

"Are you going to mention this to Serina?" I asked. Of course they were. What kind of stupid question was that. I had nearly obliterated Aya, if she hadn't overpowered me.

"Of course we are!" Brennan blurted out and my heart sank. I knew it.

"We made a promise," Lake shot back. "We promised her she wouldn't be punished."

"She nearly killed, Aya," Brennan said. "What if she goes rogue again?"

I shook my head. "I won't. I didn't know Camden was using me. I thought it was my mission."

I followed the others slowly in case it was a trap. They led me further down the hallway into a desolate room with a heavy meddle door. Once I was inside, the door slammed behind me. Oh, no. I turned back to see Brennan and Soren standing in front of the window. Their smug faces taunted me.

My fists collided violently against the cool metal, over and over again. My knuckles were beaten raw. "LET ME OUT! LET ME OUT." Rage shot through my body like all those previous times. I wasn't strong enough.

That morning, Camden had me wear the mercury helmet again. They said it would be my final mercury treatment and then all the mercury in my body would be eradicated. Now, I know that was a lie. A big lie. It was like a hypnotic machine.

They were using me like a robot. Trying to get me to do their dirty work. The others were right. I was brainwashed. It was embarrassing. I had made a fool out of myself in front of all my friends. I had betrayed them and that's why I was locked in there.

My aggression stopped and I sat down slumped again in the dark corner. My head rested against some towels. The darkness reminded me of the helmet. Then I remembered one of the sessions clearly.

The red light appeared, like it always had. Aya was talking to Serina in the distance. There conversation was inaudible. I walked toward them, trying to eaves drop. Their voices grew louder as I approached them, like they wanted me to over hear them. Aya looked at me and snickered. I remember how mad it made me.

"You're the new queen," Serina had told Aya. "It's your job to follow through with the plan."

I turned back. I needed to tell Camden. Aya and Serina were up to something and it sounded malicious. The red light dimmed and I saw one of the twins.

"You are the only one who can take out Aya," she said to me.

I woke up. Aya was not up to something. They had planted that idea in my head.