Chapter one - Origins pt1

Marinette sat on her chair, totally racked out. She was an almost average girl, with the exception that she had wings. Large beautiful wings on her back. But that was normal. Her dark black navy blue hair was resting at her shoulders, her cheeks speckled with freckles, and her eyes (currently shut at the moment) were a bluebell color. She had light creamy colored wings or a dove, about twice her height in wingspan. It was speckled with large black and brown blotches towards the tips of their feathers.

Marinette was on summer break. Well actually more like, was. The moon was high in the sky, shining its bright silvery aura through her open window. But on occasion a cloud would cover the moon, and fill the room with darkness, only illuminated by the car lights on the street passing below.

The next day was a day Marinette was dreading. It would be the fourth time in a row she'd be in a class with those awful mayor's daughter Chloe Bourgeois. She didn't think she could put up with that again. Why? Yes, Chloe was a brat and thought she was the queen of the school, but Marinette had something else she worried about. Chloe was a bully. Not just to everyone, but especially Marinette. But what could she find in Marinette to trample to the ground with? Her parents always said Chloe was just jealous of Marinette, but she knew the real reason.

Marinette couldn't fly. She hadn't ever been able to. Her wings consisted of an irregular bone growth that prevented her from lifting herself off the ground. She needed surgery desperately, but her parents didn't have enough money for it, and to get surgery would mean wearing braces on her wings to keep them pointed in the right way. Most patients who have surgery like that usually end up coming out with more pain than before and lose their ability to fly again after a year or two. So Marinette was a flightless bird, she would always be.

And Chloe loved to remind her of it.

------

"Marinette you can't be late on your first day of school!" her mom called from down below in the bakery. Marinette was fumbling around her room to get dressed.

"Coming Maman!" She replied and finally managed to get a shirt on. She opened the hatch door of her bedroom floor and basically fell down the stairs, landing on her chin at the bakery floor. Their house was one of the few houses that had a staircase, because houses were designed to be flown around, with holes in the roof to get upstairs. But her family had built them for Marinette, she wouldn't be trapped downstairs all her life!

"Marinette! Are you alright?!" Her mother helped her up. Her mom had white wings like an angel, Marinette had dove wings like her mother's. Her father, Tom, on the other hand, had strong wings of a hawk.

"Yeah, just tired." Marinette groaned and kissed her mother's cheek.

"Eat something please dear." Her mom took Marinette to the table where a variation of breakfast foods waited for her.

"Ok." Marinette made herself some cereal and grabbed an orange, but ended up spilling cocoa powder everywhere. "Oh no!" She gasped and went to catch the flying apple soaring through the air, but maned to tip over the open box of cereal to the floor. "Wait!" She tried to keep the box from hitting the floor but instead ended up kicking it the counter where it spilled everywhere. Her butt managed to bump the table as she tried to pick the mess up, and her bowl fell and shattered on the floor. "Aw ugh." Marinette groaned and fell to her knees in defeat.

"Its alright dear." Her mother comforted. "It happens to the best of us." She said and handed an orange to Marinette.

"Today is already the worst." She grumbled, taking the orange from her mother's hand and standing up.

"Don't say that, its only the start of a new school year. A restart." Her mother smiled genuinely, helping her daughter off the floor.

"Yeah, well I bet Chloe's gonna be in my class again. Scratch that, I already know so." Marinette starting picking up the pieces from the glass bowl, which now rested in pieces.

"Is that even possible? Four years in a row?' Her mother Sabine asked.

"Knowing my luck, yes." Marinette grouched. She unpeeled her orange and began to eat the juicy fruit.

"Well, try to look at your day with positivity!" Her mother nudged Marinette. "Now you better hurry before you're late."

"Wait! We have Macaroons for your class!" Tom made his way into the bakery, holding a small cream-colored box most likely filled with macaroons.

"Thank you pap!" Marinette kissed his cheek, as he handed her the box. "Bye!" She bayed them farewell and walked out the bakery door, purse in hand. She walked around the corner of the bakery and had to stop at the busy road. She wondered what new people would be in her class, hoping whoever it was, would be nice. The crosswalk had yet to signal to her the permission to walk. But that didn't stop an old man on the other side of the road to walk across.

Marinette gasped, for a large red car was hauling its way down the road, and the man was to short for the driver to see. She prayed the small old man would fly out of the way but it was too late, he obviously couldn't see the car, and his wings looked too brittle to fly with. She didn't know what she was doing, but before she knew it Marinette had run in front of the red car and grabbed the man. She barely managed to get on the other side of the road, the car barely missing her.

"Are you ok?" She helped the man up, and onlookers applauded her actions.

"Yes I am fine miss, thank you for saving me." He smiled kindly.

"Yes... no no no no! My macaroons!" She looked at the crumbled pastries in her lap.

"Hmm.." The man picked one up and put in his mouth. "They are very delicious, you are an excellent baker."

"Thank you" Marinette helped the man up. "I'm just a clutz." She looked ahead and saw the hoard of students entering the school. "I'm sorry Mr. I have to go!"

"That's quite alright." The mysterious man said as she ran away. "She has great potential Wayz."

A green turtle-like being floated before the old man's face. "Are you sure? Master Fu, she looks as though she doesn't know how to fly!" Wayz, the kwami said and gestured the dark-haired girl, who didn't bother to fly to school which would be a lot faster, and as usual for students to do.

"I'm sure she knows how to fly. And even if that were so, Tikki can help her." Master Fu smiled and pulled out an ancient Chinese looking box, tracing it with his thumb.

"If you think its the right choice.." Wayz trailed off.

"I am sure of it, of all the ladybugs I've met, this is sure to be one of the best." Master Fu began to walk to the school in hopes to find another potential candidate. By now, to his dismay, all the students had gone inside. So he waited out on the sidewalk, thinking of a scene to preform that would hopefully catch the attention of a true hero.

------

"Natalie! You can't stop me, I need to go to school! Tell father I'll be home after school!" A blonde-haired boy spewed these words out of his mouth in pitiful anger.

"Adrien. Return to the car, please. You have a photoshoot in 2 hours." A stern-looking woman returned, staying where she was on the pavement as the boy slowly backed up the stairs. He had black and white wings, with red green and yellow feathers nearing the tip. He was easily recognized as the model, Adrien Agreste.

Out of the corner of his eye, the blonde saw a poor old man, with brittle looking wings on the concrete sidewalk a couple of yards away. The man was on his knees, struggling to get to the walking cane before him. Adrien made a face of hatred towards Natalie, his assistant, and ran over to where the man was struggling. Hey knelt down and offered a hand to the old man.

"Here." Adrien handed him the can as he assisted the man to his feet.

"Thank you, young man." The man smiled genuinely. He took his cane from the blonde, as the boy gave him a smile in return.

"Adrien! Get back in the car now! We will discuss this with your father!" His assistant ordered from the steps of the school.

"Sorry mister.."

"It's quite alright." The man waved him off. Adrien nodded and walked back to his assistant.

Master Fu watched as Adrien was taken back into his car, and driven away. Wayz flew out from behind his back. "I think that one will do perfectly." The green kwami said.

"I agree." Master Fu said and turned his back to walk away.