Part 16 - The Heaven Pie

" I would like one of everything you have please?" Sweatshirt girl says with her hood covering her face, and I can't help but give a big smile.

It's good to see her.

" Glad to see you, and I'll get that right away, " I say and quickly run into the kitchen to tell Harley the good news.

" Sweatshirt girl's back!"

Harley's head whips around so fast I was afraid she would hurt her neck, "Really? Like, she's here now?" She asks, her voice getting slightly higher with excitement.

" Yes, like now now. Can you help me get everything?"

" Hell yeah!"

Harley and I rush to gather every type of pie, cupcake, and pastry we have and put them each in boxes.

Eli stands there, confused about what is happening, " What is happening? Who is sweatshirt girl?"

" She is a blessing from above, " Harley says handing him a few small boxes, " Here. Take these and fill them up with one of each pastry."

" Why?"

" Doesn't matter just do it, " Harley says with a serious glare.

Eli gulps, and then takes the boxes, " A-alright, " he studders and walks out to gather the pastries in the front.

Harley smiles in delight of intimidating Eli and I roll my eyes. Even if she fancies a boy doesn't mean that Harley would give up an opportunity to intimidate him. That doesn't matter now I guess. What matters is that we have our best customer back.

••••

" What do you mean she left?" I shout at Eli.

" I mean that she left. She still paid for everything, but as soon as I walked in she looked up, and quickly looked back down, gave me the cash- which by the way, was a lot of- and rushes out the door, " Eli tells me.

" But that makes no sense. Why would someone pay for something and then just leave it? We don't seem that desperate do we?" Harley asks, folding her arms.

" How am I supposed to know? I'm not some strange person that goes to a bakery and buys one of each and every sweet there is." Eli responds.

" Maybe it was an emergency? Or maybe she forgot she had to something?" I say, still confused about why she would do that.

Eli shrugs and Harley and I sigh at the same time. We look at each other for an awkward moment and then look the other way while trying not to laugh. Eli raises a brow but then ignores our weird moment.

Taking out his phone from the apron pocket to check the time, Eli then proceeds to run his other hand through his hair, " Jasper was supposed to be here an hour ago. Where is he?"

" I dunno but now I'm starting to regret hiring an idiot. A late idiot."

" Well at least you got me now, " Eli says, smiling with pride.

" Yeah...about that..."

Ding. The ovens timer goes off and Eli walks to the oven then opens it. The strong, yet delicious smell of Apple pie fills the room, and my mouth begins to water. I've made apple pie billions of times, but this pie smelled like heaven if I could ever imagine what heaven smelled like.

Eli takes the pie out of the oven and smiles with pride, " What do you all think? It's my mom's recipe."

" C-can we eat that?" Harley asks, still in as much awe as me.

Eli nods and slightly laughs, " Of course. I wanted to make you guys something as a thank you. My mom has always wanted me to work at a bakery."

I dash to the freezer and open it, " What kind of ice cream to you guys want with it?" I ask.

" Vanilla, " they both say at the same time, then look at each other, and then laugh at the coincidence.

" Good. Cuz that's all we have anyway, " I say, taking it out of the freezer and giggle from excitement.

I haven't been excited to have a sweet in years.

Thirty minutes later, Eli, Harley, and I are happily eating out slices of delicious apple pie and ice cream. Jasper still hadn't gotten here yet but you bet I'm going to snap at him.

" I'm not usually a big fan of sweets, " I point to the pie, " But this is amazing."

" Yeah, Eli. You were the last person that I would expect to know how to bake, " Harley says.

Eli shrugs, " It's not a big deal."

" You are definitely staying here, " I say, then take a bite of pie.

" What do you mean I'm definitely staying here?" Eli asks in confusion.

Schnitzel sticks!

Then the door burst open, making the bell ring as Jasper walks into the room, trying to catch his breath while leaning against the table that we're were sitting at.

" I have decided to replace you, Jasper, " I tell Jasper.

" W-what?" Jasper asks still out of breath.

" Eli here has a talent. While you are now about two hours and fifteen minutes late. What's your excuse?"

Jasper leans over close enough to we're only I could hear him, " We need to talk, " he whispers.

looking over at Eli and Harley who are giving us questioned looks, I look back over and nod at Jasper.

" Is everything alright?" I whisper.

" We'll see after this."

Merry Christmas everyone!! Thank you so much for reading and happy new year!!