9. The witch

(Kellan's POV) 

As we get out of the car Eric seems to be in good mood. I'm offended that he thinks it's OK to be happy right now. 

"Kellan, a word of advice; don't say too much. She's good, a little too good" he says and gives me a weird look before he goes up the stairs to the expensive building. I frown but for all I care she can be better than the moon. I just want to find Ben. 

A doorman stops us but Eric tells him that we are expected by "Illyssa" and apparently we are because he lets us in. A witch

I know Eric has used her before and I know they are powerful but I'm used to fighting alone. I don't want to need anyone. Needing is a weakness. Ben has already made me so weak I need to ask for help. 

Somehow I don't care. I know it's what matters most to me. I know I have lived my entire life trying to become strong and rid of weaknesses. Now I have something precious, and the thought scares me to the core. 

What if someone hurts him? What if someone who wants me harm use him? What if he dies and I lose the one person I ever loved? 

The elevator stops at the penthouse and we are greeted by a young boy with brown hair and green eyes. 

"Bring them here, Griffin" a voice calls and the teen gestures for us to follow. He guides us to the living room where an old woman is sipping a glass of wine. The walls are all made of glass and I can see as far as the woods. 

"Welcome out guests, sweetheart" she scolds him as like he's a willful child. 

"Welcome" he says grumpily and walks away. Ilyssa studies me with clever eyes. 

"Teens, you know" she says and turns to Eric. "I want to meet your grandmother. I won't accept any other payment" she says and Eric sighs. 

"You know I can't promise that. She's hellbent on not talking to witches" he tries to explain but her eyes aren't on him anymore. She smiles at me and puts the glass down. 

"Then you can leave, but I do wish you'll stay. It's quite rare for a wolves to find mates of the same gender and yours is quite unusual isn't he? I can tell from your eyes" she says. 

"Illyssa, please-" Eric starts but I cut him off. 

"Deal" I say and she smiles, pleased. Eric grunts. 

"Take of your shirt" she says and flicks her hand. All the lights on in the room dies. The city shines beneath us and her face bathes in the different lights. I wringe my shirt off as she gets up to stand in front of me. 

"Do you even know what we want?" I ask with a quick glance at Eric. He smiles shortly, a strained smile. She laughs and places a manicured hand on my chest. 

"If I couldn't tell that from a glance he wouldn't have brought you here" she says and I feel her pulse atop my heart. "Now... Kellan, right?" I nod. "Think of him and search for his heartbeat. I will use your bond as a rope to find out where he. I need you to stay calm no matter what it is we find on the other end. If we pull too hard your bond will suffer" she says and wait until I nod before she closes her eyes. I close mine and she starts to chant. 

I have never heard this language before. It fills my ears and vibrates inside my head as I concentrate on Benjamin. His eyes, his smell, the sound of his heartbeat, the feeling of its thump-thump-thump

Where are you?  I reminisce the feeling of having him close and suddenly I hear an echo in addition to my own heartbeat. The sound is weak and far, but I hear it. I can feel it in my own body as though mine beats in response of his. 

Suddenly I know where he is. I just know. I can feel his heartbeat and I know in which direction, and how far. 

The thumping that is him is so warm. It's like a fire in the dark. But I can sense his unease. Something is wrong! He's scared, so very scared and his heart is beating like he's in panic. 

I fume with rage and try to draw him closer. What is he scared of?! There is pain. So much pain and humiliation. For just a moment I can feel it; i share it with him. My heart hurts but I'm yanked back by the witch's hand. 

She's slapped me. 

"You almost tore it! Be careful, Kellan. For all that power, you have very much to learn. You are both right to be afraid. The thing you fear is soon to come" she says with a weary voice. 

I blink, surprised by all of it. 

"What do you mean?" I growl putting my shirt back on. I know where he is; I just want to go

"The heat has already started in his body and he is ready to run. I don't know from what or where to but you better hurry. And Kellan, hold yourself back; he's not ready. I have a drink that might help a little" she says and calls for Griffin who returns with a dark bottle in his hands.  

"One sip a day, no more" she says and hands it to me. As we go Eric curse me for my promise but I know where Ben is and I know he's going to need me. I don't care if grandma has to chit-chat with the cunning witch. 

As we exit the building Eric tosses me the car keys and smiles. 

"It's precious" he says and I actually smile at him.