24. Someday maybe

(Benjamin's POV)

It's early in the morning and we are sleeping three feet apart as always. For me it's amazing that I can even sleep next to him. We are both tired after yesterday's adventure so Kell isn't too pleased when someone bangs loudly at the door. 

He wakes up with a grunt and gets up. I follow him with a trembling heart, afraid that something is wrong. I watch him from the bedroomdoor when he opens. It's one of the wolves that usually stands in front of the building and he has a small teenager in a tight grip. 

"Eric says you're babysitting today" the guards says and shoves the boy at Kellan. 

"Oh, hell no. Ashton! Come back!" Kellan barks at him but the man disapperas and Kellan closes the door with a low growl. 

"Right, I'm gonna go. See you later" the boy excuses himself and tries to open the door only to be yanked back by Kellan. He's awfully rough with the little guy

"Winter, where the hell have you been? Eric's been looking for you!" Kellan growls at him. So this is Winter. 

Now that I look at them they look kind of similiar. Winter is almost as tall as Kellan, but at least five years younger and not even half of his weight. Winter groans. 

"Come on! You don't wanna watch me all day and I don't wanna see you and your mate play house so let me go!!!" he yells and there is a small bang at the wall. 

"Stopp shouting!!!" Kell yells back at him earning another pound at the wall. His face is twisted in anger. I cross the room and take his hand carefully. 

"Kell... the neighbors..." I remind him quietly. 

"Nice bedhair. Did you fuck all night?" Winter taunts with a sneering face. At this Kellan stalks up to him and grab his arms to shake him angrily. I would be terrified if he did that to me but Winter just stares defiyingly at him. 

"Shut up about my mate, you understand?!" he snarl at his brother. 

"Kell, it's OK. He doesn't mean anything by it; he's just trying to make you mad" I say and Winter's face drop, revealing a pair of suprised brown eyes. 

"Fuck, you little shit. You better be good today because we're going to Grandma's tonight" Kell informs his brother and gestures towards the kitchen table. Winter sighs and slumps down in one of the chairs while Kell starts to get eggs and bacon from the fridge. 

I murmur an excuse and go back to the bathroom. My hair is, as he pointed out, very messy and I fix it with my fingers and take the time to splash my face before I go back. Winter is playing on his phone but Kellan looks up and smiles at me. 

"Baby, could you set the table?" he asks and I grab the plates from the cabinet behind him. When I turn around he's very close. With a sly smile he smells me. I blush like an idiot. 

"You smell good" he whispers and turn back to the eggs. I bow my head as I set the plates and avoid getting to close to Winter. Kellan comes with the food and as we sit down Winter takes the word. 

"If that happens again I will jump out the window, or throw up all over your floor" he informs us. To my surprise Kell doesn't actually gets mad. 

"Ignore my idiot brother. He can't bear it when other people are happy. Isn't that right Win-win?" Kellan taunts. I snort at his nickname. 

"Hey! Don't you laugh, cricket!" Winter bites at me but his voice isn't really mad. He's actually very easy to read. Like an open book, albeit a frosty book. 

To my surprise Kell has more than a visit at Grandma's planned. As soon as we're done eating Kellan takes us to Home Depot to buy paint for the walls. Kell works hard to get me to say what color I want; I work hard at making him choose and Winter works hard at making agonized sighs as we bicker. 

"No, but really; which one do you like?" he begs me but I shake my head. 

"I like the one you want" I argue. 

"But you don't know which one that is!" he sighs, frustrated with me. 

"Aha, so you do have one!" I squeak at his slip-up. 

"Will you PLEASE stop this battle of kindness!?!?" Winter begs us with a fruious sob. "Please, I'll be nice the rest of the day if you just choose a color!" he pleads and I can't help but laugh. 

"Then blue. You said blue earlier" I answer Kell who gets a little red around the ears when I say that. 

"OK, Ben, Win-win, blue it is. But what shade?" he asks and Winter groans torturedlike. 

After buying a nice shade of soft sky blue we head to the store to get groceries. Kell wants the usual: eggs, bacon, bread and milk. I ask him if we could get some baking supplies so I can try one of my mother's recipies. He seems more than happy at that. 

Winter drags his steps behind us, scoffing when Kellan get's too fluffly with me. I kind of like it. It makes me happy to know that others can see how sweet he is. I feel chosen. 

The only thing Winter asks for is a basket of red apples. Kellan smiles and ruffles his hair before putting them in the cart. 

"He's loved apples since he was a baby" he explains to me with the voice of a proud father. I laugh at them and Winter sighs. He has a lot of teen energy, I think to myself and smile. Kellan asks Winter if he wants to buy honey for the apples and manages to tease him with the simple question. I like seeing them together.  

Someday maybe I will be like that.