12. Vengeful wolves

(Kellan's POV) 

Eric laughs at me when I tell him why I can't be in my apartment at the moment. 

"Why is he so scared" he asks. 

"He freaks out" I growl and dig my nails into my palms. 

"And the fear is stronger than the heat?" Eric asks with serious disbelief.

"It's complicated, but I feel like I'm fighting the god damned moon" I say clenching my jaw and staring at the setting sun behind him. It hovers above the horizon. 

"I'm sorry you can't mate. I hope whatever is keeping you apart will heal soon" he says with his best big brother voice. I sigh and tighten my fists. 

I want to fuck my mate so bad. 

I jerked off in the shower. No matter how many times or how cold the water it did not satisfy me at all. I had been awake since he fell asleep at sunrise and now it was almost evening. I was almost surprised I had lasted this long. 

No matter what I must not wake him. He had been in so much pain and the thought of triggering it again made me strong enough to stay away. 

But I had to wait in another room. I wasn't that strong. 

"I'm actually glad you're here, though" Eric says and turns to me. "The scouts tell me that the Hellhounds have been spotted in the city" he says. 

Vermont is home to many packs, ours the largest. We are allies with every pack in the state, except for the Hellhounds. 

"Are they here for war again?" I ask. This isn't good. Eric looks worried but the thrill of fight still piques my interest. 

"I don't know. There has been no fighting or vandalizing. I'm not sure what to make of it. They seem to be all over the city but they aren't many and they haven't done anything. It's as if they are searching for something" he says. 

What could the Hellhounds be searching for here? We are enemies. 

Only something really important could have lured them here. Something like revenge, or bringing back a rouge. 

Rouge

Why was Benjamin running away? 

He was afraid of someone looking for him. 

His old pack hurt him to the point where he had to flee. 

It suddenly makes so much sense. I turn to Eric. 

"My mate fled from his old pack after they treated him badly. When I met him he was really scared. I think he was running from them, from the Hellhounds. I think they might be here for him" I say and look at my alpha. 

All I want is for him to order me to kill them. He nods. 

"I understand." He has his angry face on now. "Chase them out of town and make sure they know they aren't welcome" he orders. "I thought this could be a peaceful progress but I can't have my brothers mate being scared of walking the streets" he adds with a hint of tenderness. 

"Thank you, Eric" I say and he puts a hand on my shoulder. 

"Be careful. I will send out the other fighters but the Hellhounds hate us for winning the war. Vengeful wolves are dangerous" he says. 

"I know. I'm burning with vengeance too" I answer and walk out the door. I'm going to make them pay for hurting my mate. I'm raging with urge to kill. 

I think about checking up on Ben before I go but I'm so mad that I can't calm down and I don't want to wake him up. 

As I storm down the building I feel a new sort of violent energy as I think of them making Ben hurt. I know I should think of this as a weakness. I know that my bond to Ben makes me irrational and hectic. But I don't feel weak as I let the fury fire me up.