17. The Blue King

(Kellan's POV)

Ben is pulling at the clothes I lent him, trying to make himself look more presentable. I can't bear how cute he is my large shirt. 

"Do we really have to do this now? Can't it wait? I don't look-" is all Ben has time to protest before Eric opens the door. He's taller than me and towers over both of us, making Ben look almost like a child. 

"Come in" he orders politley. The look on his face is grim. "I'm guessing this is Benjamin?" he says and smiles at my mate. My mate. 

We enter and he closes the door behind us. Ben is latched at my side in a way he's never been before. It's like he's chosen to trust me because he's so scared of Eric. I carefully put my hand on his back, without cornering him. 

"Yes, and as you know he's not a part of the pack. When can you officially accept him?" I ask and give Eric my most this-is-urgent-look. He doesn't respond at first, and his eyes lodged into the plain wall. 

"Is there a rite when joining?" Ben mumbles with a worried voice. He's standing very close with my arm between himslef and Eric; it makes my heart race to have him this close. I can feel the dun-dun-dun of his echoing like a drum inside me. 

 "Yes, sorry. There is a sort of ritual but it's very short and plain. I say a few words and give you my protection and then you're a part of the pack" Eric says, finding himself right away. A pleasant smile takes over his face and he shines at Ben. Ben's face stays uncomforted. 

"When?" I demand and Eric almost laughs at me. 

"Tomorrow, my impatient brother. Were you worried I would not accept him?" Eric teases but I just grunt and put my arm around Ben, ushuring him towards the door. 

"Wait. Before you go I have some disturbing news, I'm afraid. The bodies of the Hellhounds weren't there when I sent the scouts to clean up. They were gone, and the place was cleared of anything that could be incriminating. It's not a big worry since we don't need any evidence except Kellans memory to judge them by werewolf law; however... it means that other Hellhounds has entered our territory. So far they haven't done anything. For all we know they might have just come for their dead wolves" Eric tells us with a serious tone. 

This is not good. What if they have come for Ben again? What if it's the alpha this time? 

I look over at Ben and he's wringing his hands again in a way that looks kind of painful. His face is full of concern and a tortureous sadness that makes my chest cold. I gently stroke my thumb over his shoulder where my hand is still holding him, and press him lightly towards me. Not to tightly since I don't want him to feel trapped. 

His thin body breathes shakily against me and all I want is to erase his pain. I want to kill every single Hellhound and burn their lifeless  bodies to ash. But all I can do for now is to comfort him. 

"It will be OK, Ben. We will keep you safe" I say and the tone of my voice is one I've never heard before. I almost sound like a crusader, swearing to bring God victory. My conviction to Ben is stronger than anything before in my life. 

 "Exactly. Don't worry. I will deal with the trespassers and Kellan is our strongest fighter; he can protect you" Eric reassures Ben who seemes to be even more nervous than before enetering Eric's apartment. 

"Thank you" Is everything he says but it doesn't sound like he thinks we will fix this

I already fucked up once by letting him get kidnapped by the same monsters that abused him. I will not let that happen again. I can't let him out of my sight from now on.