33. Like a puddle in the winter

(Winter's POV)

As Kellan and his mate exits the big hall everyone cheers in loud celebration of their love. The kids run after them and the pack laughs and praises the mismached yet handsome couple. Everyone is so happy for them. 

It's bullshit. 

"I've got admit, I never thought Kellan would find a mate" Eric says and puts a hand on my shoulder. I shake his hand off and scoff. 

"He was always the lucky one" I mutter and look around. Not in sight.  

"Haha! That's right; he was. But don't worry. You'll be happy too" he assures me. Not a chance thanks to... 

A far too familiar presense makes my breath hitch. 

"I'm gonna go to the bathroom real quick" I excuse myself and head for the doors but Eric yanks me back and places his thick arm around my shoulder. 

"Oh, no. You have to at least greet him" he says and waves at the tall figure heading towards us. I look at the pack, at the decorations, at the floor, at anything but him. In my chest the treacherous muscle pounds excitedly and can smell it, the familiar scent that I hate so much. My body shivers against my will. 

"Hello there, it's been a while" Conroy says and his voice echoes down my spine like an orchestra. 

Not long enough! 

Where the hell have you been? 

Too long, I've missed you... 

How dare you come here?  

Fuck you! 

Why did you go?!  

I'm usually cold as ice but I can't even answer him. 

"Yes, it has. Welcome back" Eric says in my stead and they shake hands in the manliest handshake I have ever witnessed. He reaches it out for me but I don't take it. 

"My parents send their love" Conroy says, dropping his hand while giving me a curious look. I don't look at him. Eric nods sadly. 

"Yes, how are they?" my big brother asks kindly. 

"They are well; they miss Lisa, like we all do" Conroy answers with a perfect smile. I take a step back to ease out of the conversation. My eyes are set on the door; I still haven't looked at him. 

"Yes... terribly" Eric says and the pain in his voice stings but the urge to run away is greater. I take another step back and turn to walk away from my brother and the evil king. In the corner of my eyes I see how people smile at him and how he smiles back, like he's the kindest person in the world. 

"Going already?" he asks me with a hint of something maliceful in his tone. My face twists in anger and I turn to him ready release the river of hatred rushing in my veins, but as I look into the foresty green eyes I can't breathe. 

My heart stops dead in my chest and I freeze like a puddle in the winter, and that's all I am in that moment. Everything I have to say pools around my feet togeather with my free will and ability to think. All I know is that he's there. 

He's right there... and he's looking at me with those magical eyes. 

He's waiting. Eric is waiting. Hell, I'm waiting for me to say something but nothing comes out. I'm so happy I could die. But then I remember. My body moves instinctly and though I know I'll regret it I close the short space between us and swing my hand with all the force of a seven year old hatred. 

The slap echoes in the loud room and the people around us all turn to look at the alpha's pityful freak little brother. Without a word I dash out of the room and bolt down the stairs so fast that even Eric couldn't catch up.