Twenty-Five

"Carter?" Delanee calls quietly into the dark room. "Car, I know you're in here. I'm alone, I promise." She sighs when she doesn't get a response, walking down the rows of theater like seating to the floor.

"I'm sorry, okay?" Carter blubbers out as her best friend makes eye contact with her.

"What happened?" Delanee asks, dropping against the small wall beside Carter, pulling her into a tight hug.

"I got scared." Carter whispers, leaning into Delanee's shoulder.

"Why?"

"I wanted to show Calum the panaramic view of DC, up on the fourth floor. And when we got there he got all serious and told me he loves me..."

"You told us a few days ago you felt the same? Why did that scare you?" Delanee runs her fingers through Carter's hair trying to help her relax.

"Think about what I just told you, about what happened, and then think about me, and my past history.... you'll figure it out, De." Carter sighs, wiping the tears from her face.

After thirty seconds or so Delanee's face shows with realization. "Oh! Oh shit, Car you know it isn't like that."

"It felt exactly like that, Delanee. Exactly."

"I'm so sorry."

Silence envelops the two girls, sitting on the cold hard floor of Carter's dad's classroom. Delanee holding Carter, unsure of what else to do, and knowing they was little that would help at this moment.

Both girls jump as the door to the classroom opens, the overhead lights flickering on. Neither one moving or making a sound as they wait to see who has finally found their hiding place. Carter let's out a breath she didn't know she was holding as Ava and Olive drop to join their huddle. Neither saying anything for a good five minutes.

"Calum left." Oli sighs after a while.

"Where?" Carter mumbles.

"London. To meet up with the rest of his band. Whatever happened between you two really messed with his head." Ava hugs Carter tighter as she informs her.

"He didn't even stick around to try and talk?" Carter's voice cracks slightly.

"Would you have in his place?" Delanee asks softly.

"No..." Carter sighs, coming to the realization that she just fucked up the best relationship she had ever known. Simply because of fear.

***

"Cal?" Mali startles slightly as she opens the door.

"Can I come in?" He sniffles slightly, trying to keep his emotions in for a couple more minutes, thoroughly impressed by the way he had for the last ten hours.

"I mean, of course! What happened?" Mali frowns, pulling him through the doorway and into a tight hug.

The weight of her question and the heaviness of his heart, mixed with a hug he so desperately needed sends him over. His body convulsing as he sobs into her shoulder, his arms tightly wrapped around her.

"Hey, it's alright, Calum. It's going to be alright. Come on, into the living room, let's get you sat down, and find some tea." She shushs him as she guides him nearly blindly through the house.

"I'm sorry, Mal, I just... I don't know what I did wrong." He tries to take a deep breath to get himself back in control of his outburst.