Part 8: I Want You To Stay

Peeta's P.O.V.

"I don't think she's going to make it, Katniss...." I say to her solemnly.

"She has to survive. I'm sure I won't. Please save her." She says.

"She'll make it. So are you, Katniss." I say and kiss her hand.

"I'm sorry Peeta.." She says sounding weak. "I.. can't do it anymore. Promise me... promise me you'll take care of her."

"Yes you can. Just hold on, Katniss." I say growing more sad.

She rubs her hand on my cheek. She has a sad smile and tears in her eyes. She closes her eyes. Then I hear her monitor flat line.

"No, no, no. Katniss! Please.... I love you..." I say.

~

I jolt awake. I look around the room, and I'm breathing heavy. The lights sense my movement and turn on. I see Katniss dimly laying in front of me. Her chest rising and falling constantly. I take some deep breaths and try to calm down. I rub Katniss's arm. She stirs at my touch but doesn't wake up. Which I am glad. It is six in the morning. Aster was born five hours ago. She's the best Christmas gift I could ask for. I bet Katniss feels the same. I was told when Katniss fell asleep, that when she is awake and feeling better, we can see Aster. Which I am so excited for. I had only seen her when she was just born. But I had already fallen in love with her. And I can't wait to take her home and raise her with Katniss. There is a soft knock on the door. It opens and Haymitch pokes his head inside. He nods for me to come outside. I kiss Katniss's cheek before I leave.

"So..?" He asks me.

"She's here. Came around 1. In the N.I.C.U. for now. We can see her when Katniss wakes up." I say.

"Congratulations, Peeta." He says.

"Thank you. I'm really happy." I say.

"I am too." He says. "I hate for this to be taken away, but.. they know. I don't know how. Effie is trying to find the source who leaked the information. But.. when you leave, I'm afraid.. It's going to be hell."

"Well.." I sigh. "I figured this would might happen."

"Effie is talking with Paylor to get you guys the privacy you deserve. So let's hope by the time she's well enough to come home, you won't have to worry." Haymitch says.

"Thank you Haymitch. For everything. And making sure we're okay." I say.

"Well someone has to." he says with a smile.

"You bet someone does." I say.

"Well.. just let me know when you are going to see her." He says. "Go on back to Katniss."

"We will." I say.

I go back into the room. I sit back down in the chair by her. To my surprise, when I glance her way, her eyes are open.

"Hi Honey." I say softly and take her hand.

She smiles at me weakly. "Hi..." She says barely above a whisper.

"Feeling alright?" I ask.

She shrugs a little. She is trying to keep her eyes open. She is still exhausted. I smile a big smile and kiss her temple.

"You're a mother now. No more hormones, morning sickness, none of that. Now we just raise Aster. And we'll be a great family." I say.

Her smile grows smaller as her eyes grow heavier. I brushed some hair out of her face.

"Go back to sleep, Kat. When you wake up... our world will be very different." I whisper in her ear.

~