Part 12: The Simple Days

~Two Months Later~

Peeta's P.O.V.

Katniss would never agree with me, but she is an amazing mother. She thinks I'm the better parent out of the two of us. But somehow, I just know that's not entirely true. Whenever she is with our daughter, I see a whole different side of her. It's somewhat familiar because she cared for Prim in a similar way. But in her attitude, I can also sense something completely new. Something softer. Something.. Beautiful. I caught her one afternoon, in a daze as she watched Aster pick dandelions in the meadow. Nothing could distract her, not even my heavy footsteps coming from behind her. She was startled at first as I placed my hand on her shoulder. But soon relaxed and gave me a quick smile.

"I love her so much, Peeta." She said with a tone that was nearly desperate.

"I know you do, Katniss." I said to her and gave her shoulder what I hoped was a reassuring rub.

She took a long pause before saying anything else. I could tell she was pondering something.

"Do you think she'll ever love me as much as I love her?" She asked.

Almost as if on cue, I see our girl run up to meet us. Katniss bent down to catch her in her arms, as she did I noticed a flower in Aster's hand. It wasn't a dandelion. Like the ones I watched her pick. But a,

"It's a Primrose, Mommy! For you!" Aster stated proudly.

I could see the tears welling in Katniss's eyes as she smiled. "Thank you, sweetheart. What is this for?" She asked her happily as she took the Primrose from Aster's hand.

"Because I love you." And with that, she wrapped her arms around her mother's neck. Embracing her with all her might.

As she did, I took the opportunity to whisper in Katniss's ear,

"I think she already does."

I love to dream about this afternoon. I feel relieved when I get it instead of a nightmare. I feel small fingers poking my back.

"Daddy. Pst! Daddy, wake up." I hear Aster whisper.

I roll over and sit up. "Yeah, Ast?" I ask and yawn.

"Can we go play today?" She asks quietly.

I look at the clock. "Yes we can, Aster. Maybe in a little bit. Mommy is still asleep." I say.

"Okay." She says and has her cute sad look.

"We'll go make breakfast. How about pancakes?" I ask and rub her chin.

A big, bright smile appears on her face. "Yay!" She says,

"Will you go get the things out for me?" I ask.

She nods. "And keep quiet. It's a little bit early for Mommy to be up." I say softly and kiss her head.

"I will." She whispers and puts her little fingers in front of her lips, and has a smile.

She runs out of our room and I hear her small feet go down the stairs. Not too far behind the paws and claws of Daisy and Apollo follow. I look over and find Katniss still asleep peacefully. I brush some of her long dark hair out of her face. I lean down and kiss her forehead. I see her smile in her sleep. She breathes deeper and curls up into the pillow.

I get out of bed and get dressed. I leave my room and close the door quietly. I go downstairs. When I go into the kitchen, the sight of my little girl at the sink warms my heart.

"What are you doing Little Flower?" I ask her.

"Meshuring, Daddy!" She says,

I laugh a little. I go and get the cup from her.