Part 18: You Knock Me Out, I Fall Apart

~ 1 Year Later ~

Peeta's P.O.V.

Time has flown by so fast in my life, I've realized. I've been married for seventeen years now. Have two beautiful children. Have the women of my dreams. Live in the place I love. Katniss is turning thirty nine in a few days. I will be in September. And that is even more crazy to think about. I've been alive for thirty eight years. Alive and thriving. The last time I had a flashback from the hijacking was before Aster was born. I'm so happy that my children haven't seen a terrible side of me. I don't know what I'd do. Aster already had some nightmares. Not to the extent of her parents, but for a child. It pains Katniss and I know that this is going on for her. We are praying no plague is struck for Owen or anymore for Aster. And even out potential children. We are so lucky to have our loved ones near. Gale and Aleree's son, Hunter always come to play with Aster and Owen. Annie and Fin visit much more as well. We all get togethers and enjoy each other's company quite frequently. And we visit them as well.

"Mommy! Mommy! Can I watch

a movie? Please?" Aster asks Katniss.

"Okay sweetie but right after you

are going straight to bed." She tells her.

The Mellark family were vacationing in District 4with The Odair's for the weekend. The kids played the entire time and us adults tried to pretend that everything was okay. Annie was better, but she had days when her mind left her wondering. Katniss's nightmares had returned about two months after Owen was born. And I was holding close to my family to protect them from their demons. And try to keep my own from returning. Hours went by and all the kids rushed into the room crying. They had gotten their hands on

videos of past Hunger Games, including the 74th. Katniss started to shake when she

realized that our kids saw that we killed people that were barely older than they are.

Annie cried, and wrapped her arms around her son. I held tight to Katniss while she helped our children and we were trying to keep a grip on reality.

"What do we do now?" Katniss mumbled as her trembles

became violent, and her sobs became soft.

"It's time we tell them the truth." I get out, barely able to keep myself from breaking down.

~

Katniss's P.O.V.

I didn't want this day to come this soon. My son who is only one and my daughter who is only eight, have seen my past. Our past. The terrible things done to keep them safe in this life. The things I wish I could fix and take back. Do all over again but save all those who I lost. Do it the right way. But I can't. And I can't make my children forget what they saw. So now.. I have to tell the truth. The whole, ugly, truth about the life I have lived. Peeta and I have put it off until we returned from vacation. But, now both our children have nightmares. So this cannot wait any longer. Peeta picks Aster up from school. I prepare myself emotionally for this conversation I have dreaded my entire life. Aster sits down on the couch and Owen is next to her. I look at Peeta with fear and sadness in my eyes. He nods and then I take a deep breath.

"Flower, Buga..." I start with a hard swallow. "When Momma and Daddy were a little bit older than you, we had to go and do something. It was called The Hunger Games."

"We were in it and won." Peeta says, and clutches my hand.

"What was it? What did you do?" Aster asks.

I close my eyes and take a deep breath. I try to keep myself from crying.

"It was a very bad game. It involved hurting people in order to come back home." Peeta explains as gently as you can tell what the Hunger Games was. "So that's what we had to do. And we didn't mean to. Or even want to. We just wanted to see our family again. And not get hurt ourselves."

"It looked scary, Mommy. Was it?" Owen asks.

"Very much so, Buga. But we did what we needed to do." I explain choking back on tears.

"After we won, some bad people wanted to hurt the world we lived in. So we had to stop them. I was taken away from your Momma and hurt by them. They were very mean. Momma got me back home and we stopped the bad people from taking the place we love." Peeta explains.

"Why do you cry and be sad at night, Momma?" Owen asks me.

"Well, Owen... Momma lost a lot of people in the past. Your Auntie Prim, Uncle Finnick, Grandpa, and some more people. I cry... because I miss them. And I want them to come back. But, since they passed away.. I can't. Not until I do. But.. I have you. And Daddy, and Aster, and all the rest of our family." I will explain.

"Can we see them?" Aster asks.

"Yes, someday like me." I will explain.

"But we can tell you about them now." Peeta says.

He leaves for a minute and comes back with the memory album. We give it to the kids and they look through it.

"Momma and I get nightmares like you two. And we get through them. All of us. Because that's what Momma and I do. Protect each other and you guys. Always." Peeta says.

"And nothing bad will happen to you. Because Daddy and I won't let it. We love you. And we won't let anyone hurt you or take you guys away from us." I say.

I go and wrap my arms around my children. Peeta wraps his arms around all of us. We let the warms of our love keep us safe.

"You love us, right Momma?' Aster asks.

"That's Real, Baby Girl. Always Real." I say.

"And it's Real that we'll always protect you." Peeta says.