Part 14: Life Is Sweet!

Peeta's P.O.V.

"Chocolate!"

Katniss came into the room as he opened the package from Annie. Annie had sent all kinds of baby-related items she had made. Annie had gotten into sewing and had spent ages making tiny little baby clothes. But Annie had also included some things clearly intended for Katniss. A dress that was loose and flowy. A book of stories. A hot water bottle. And a box of chocolates. Chocolate was a luxury that we didn't often indulge in. It was so expensive and we lived frugally.

'I thought you might enjoy this. I craved chocolate when I was pregnant. Annie.' Katniss read aloud.

She grinned and tore off the paper to reveal the box. A month ago the scent would have sent her running to the bathroom. But now she had reached the craving stage. And that included anything sweet.

"Hmmm..." Katniss opened the box and took one of the chocolates.

She had always enjoyed sweets. Food, in general, was one of the few things she had allowed herself to enjoy. But that had always come with a sense of guilt because of all the hungry people in her district. The feeling she had experienced when she had eaten all that food on the train or ate the chocolate sauce with Cinna. She offered one to me, and I accepted it with a smile. She knew I was thrilled that the puking stage had mostly passed. It had terrified me. But now she was eating more than she ever had and constantly hungry.

"I can't believe how much time it must have taken for her to make all this," She commented as I touched all the tiny little garments.

Katniss bit her lip remembering how Annie had managed to survive all these years without her husband. While she was barely making it with hers. Annie was a much stronger person than anyone had given her credit for. Maybe she was sometimes a little crazy but there wasn't a kinder person or a better mother.

"It just makes it feel so real." She commented at last. It was ridiculous since she had been pregnant for months.

"You're going to be the best mother ever," Peeta said softly. I wrapped my arms around her and smiled down at her.

"I'm not. I'm going to be horrible. I'm not loving or nice or sweet or anything." She commented.

"You are actually. There wasn't a better sister in the whole world. And you've been a damn good partner all these years."

Katniss nearly laughed. Only I would think that. But it still made her feel better. Maybe she wouldn't be such a failure. At least she could protect her child more than most. And maybe the fact that Peeta would be the best father ever would make up for her failures.

"Well, maybe." She pushed herself over until she was nearly in his lap. I pretended to grab a chocolate and she shifted the box out of reach.

"These are mine."

We were both laughing as I grinned, "I'm not going to get in the way of you and your chocolates."

"Neither will Aster." She says with a small smile. 

HI guys! Here's the special short part I said I'd put! More will come as scheduled as it is Friday tomorrow! Comment and vote! Lots of Love! ❤❤❤

Zeffie