4

The blizzard finally stopped on New Year's Eve and everywhere, there was snow. The pure white color covered the roads, houses, and trees. I was tempted to go out and play, but thought better of it since I couldn't stand the cold. I loved the snow, but not the weather that came along with it.

My friends came over and decided that we would have a sleepover in my house. Their parents knew that mine were never home and so they made sure that I wasn't lonely during the New Year and allowed their kids to be with me. I was thankful to all of them, but would've been perfectly fine without them here as well.

"Look what I brought with me!" Isaac sang as he pulled out a wine bottle from his duffel bag.

Rebecca gasped in outrage. "Where did you get that?"

"Does it matter?" he shrugged dismissively before he set it down on my coffee table in the living room. "We're drinking tonight!"

"Hell yeah!" Olly shouted. "This is what New Year's all about!"

"Willow!" Rebecca looked at me with worried eyes. "We can't drink alcohol! We're underage!"

I shrugged. "It's fine, Rebecca. If nobody knows, nobody has to get in trouble. We just won't drink. Let Olly and Isaac have their fun for the night."

Rebecca sighed when the other two grinned with joy and we left it at that.

It was almost midnight and we had already set up the living room to be the area where we would all sleep together for the night. For now, my friends were on the floor while I was on the couch with Dog's head on my lap. We were all watching the Times Square countdown.

"Hey, Isaac." Rebecca suddenly asked.

"What?"

"Don't you ever get bullied at school for always hanging out with us?"

Isaac looked at her in confusion. "Why?"

Olly snorted. "Because you spend more time with us than you do your guy friends! They must think you're gay or something to be constantly hanging out with girls, even during the holidays."

He glared at her while she was grinned back. "No." he firmly said. "They don't think I'm gay or anything for hanging out with you guys. They think the exact opposite." Isaac turned back to watch the TV. "They think I'm smooth with the ladies or something. That's why you guys let me hang out with you all the time."

Olly burst out laughing and Rebecca followed soon after. Dog's ears twitched from how loud they were, but he remained still on my lap.

"Oh, shut up." Isaac rolled his eyes as he lightly blushed.

The other two girls decided to not bother Isaac any longer as they turned their attention to the Times Square Countdown. The countdown was approaching, so Isaac quickly poured four glasses of wine before setting them in front of each of us.

Olly grinned at him while Rebecca looked at the glass with nervousness before turning her eyes to Isaac. He encouraged her before they all began the countdown from ten. Their eyes were enrapt on the falling sphere, but I simply took the glass of wine into my hands and swirled the liquid around for a bit.

Dog noticed what I had in my hand and lifted his head to stare at it. He curiously stared at the glass so I tilted it for him to get a whiff of the smell. His nostrils flared for a split second before he turned his snout away from the wine and buried his face in my lap.

I smiled in amusement at him before the countdown finally reached zero. Isaac and Olly immediately toasted before they gulped down the violet wine. Rebecca gave the drink a chance, but cringed from the taste and quickly set it back down on the coffee table, not touching the glass again the whole night.