16

It was Valentine's Day, and I was amazed at how quickly it arrived. At school, students were passing around gifts and chocolate to those close to them. And apparently, love was in the air. Everywhere I looked, it was red and pink and white with hearts on every single wall and ceiling. Some years, I found this holiday nauseating, on others, I didn't care.

But this year...felt different.

There were plenty of couples at school, cuddling, kissing, and other mushy couple stuff. My friends were complaining to me—mostly Olly and Rebecca—asking me why I wasn't like that with Trey. Of course, they already knew the answer, but just had to ask. I simply ignored them.

Something I found surprising at school was that girls, and female werewolves, were actually pretty bold when it came to Trey. I saw some actually going up to talk to him, compared to the normal days when they just stood afar and stared after him. Some even gave him chocolate, which my friends continuously pointed out.

At the end of the school day, Trey passed by my locker, empty-handed. I stared at him with confusion. He wasn't wearing a backpack or bag of any sort. His pockets were bulging with chocolate either. So where were they?

Trey didn't stop to question me as to why I was staring at him since there were still students around. He usually caught up with me at my locker at the end of the day, so I wasn't surprised. But he would've said something as he passed me, but this time, he was silent. He probably knew I would've asked him about the chocolates he received from other girls, so he didn't want to bring up any conversation now.

That didn't mean I wouldn't ask him later.

When I got home, Trey was already there, of course. He was on the couch, staring at the TV. I opened my mouth to question him, but my eyes flashed to the clock hanging on the wall. I stiffened before quickly dashing to my bedroom.

Trey stared after me with confusion as I reemerged, walking down the stairs with the things I needed for work.

"Where are you going?" Trey asked with alarm, standing up.

I walked past him and bended down to pick up my shoes. I felt his eyes land on my butt, but I didn't have the time to lecture him as I pulled my shoes on. "I'm going to work."

"But today's Valentine's Day."

"Exactly." I glanced at him. From the quick look I got, it seemed like he was pouting. As long as I didn't look directly at his face, I would be unaffected. "On Valentine's Day, Rebecca's café holds a special couples' event and special. There will be a lot of customers, so I have to help out." I grabbed my coat and keys before giving him another quick glance, to which I was unaffected again by his pouting. "I'll see you later."

Then I was out the door and slammed it shut before Trey could comment on anything. Of course, he could've just opened the door and complained, but he didn't—fortunately. I drove to the café and already saw that there were a lot of customers. I quickly got ready and began to work my shift.

Serving the food required a fast pace since there were a lot of customers and they all required different times to eat and order. Most of the customers were couples, and we took their picture at the entrance. Those who were real couples were given a discount. The proof needed was a simple kiss on the lips.

Of course, it was possible that there were fakes amongst the couples, but Rebecca's parents didn't mind since it was just a small discount that happened only on Valentine's Day.

During the times when it was slower, I asked Mr. Garcia if I could use some of his ingredients and equipment. When asked why I needed those things, I had to tell him about Trey. At that moment, Rebecca came into the kitchen and said he was my boyfriend, so it would be a first for me to celebrate the holiday.