27

When I asked Trey who the Golden Moon Pack was, he told me they were like a brother pack. They were extremely close to the Crescent Moon Pack and even lived fairly close. Whenever one was in trouble, the other would immediately be there to aid them.

At the moment, we were resting in the large sitting room, watching as medics like Helen treated any serious injuries. Luckily, Trey's injuries were only minor, so they healed instantly.

Together, we sat on the couch next to each other.

"Do you know how big the BMP is?" I asked.

Trey blinked at me. "BMP?"

"Blood Moon Pack." I elaborated. "Saying the title of each pack is a mouthful, so I decided to make my own acronym. There's also the CMP and the GMP."

He chuckled before answering. "The last I saw them, they were under twenty, excluding children. But they could've grown over the years. Their main goal is to kill the one who killed their alpha and luna, so it's best if we assume they did. Our pack as at least thirty able bodies for war. But with the Golden Moon Pack by our side, it'll be twice as much. We'll need as much power as we can get."

I nodded my head before leaning it against his shoulder and he wrapped his arm around the back of the couch so I would be comfortable.

"Why aren't you beta?" I asked.

Trey shrugged. "Why would I want to be beta?"

"Because you're strong."

He smirked. "Finally admitting it now?"

I sighed. "You know what I mean."

Again, Trey shrugged. "If I wanted to be beta, I would have to fight Sergio for his position. And even before that I'd have to get approval from the majority of the pack and the pack elder."

"Sounds complicated."

"I told you before that the alpha's oldest child inherits the pack when he or she turns eighteen, right?" I nodded. "But those who made that rule acknowledged being eighteen doesn't necessarily mean they're an adult who could make rational decisions for the pack. That's why the beta is always the previous alpha's original beta, so that he can guide the new alpha. Only after the beta deems the new alpha mature enough to rule without his guide will he appoint a new beta."

It took me a while to understand Trey's words, but in the end, I got it.

"So you might still end up being beta when Drew gets older?"

"I'm not going to become beta." Trey said flatly.

"And why not?"

"A beta has responsibilities to take care of the whole pack, just as the alpha does. The only person I want to be paying attention to is you." He grinned down at me. "You should be flattered."

I rolled my eyes just as the door to the room opened, revealing Drew and Karen. Behind them stood another guy who looked to be in his early to mid-twenties—an adult. He was handsome and I obviously wasn't the only one who thought so because practically every woman turned to him when he entered.

"Hello Dominic." The women said in chorus while the men said their greetings with respect.

"Hello ladies, gentlemen."

At the corner of my eye, I saw Helen look at the man and grin.

"Dummy." She said with affection as he approached her.

He wrapped his arms around her shoulders and breathed into her ear as he spoke. "We're not kids anymore. How much longer are you going to call me that?"