18

The next day at school, I was slightly surprised to see that Trey wasn't around. But the more I thought about it, the more it made sense. Why would he come to school if he was just going to be distracted by the mating season?

But my explanation didn't really work in the end. At school, there were still werewolves around like usual. And for some reason, a lot of them were giving me more looks than usual, both males and females. When I looked straight back at them, I saw that they were staring near my neck—the area where Trey's hickey was splotched onto my skin for others to see.

Of course, normal humans saw it too—including my friends—and they were very shocked. All day, they asked me who I got it from, though they already knew it was Trey. And yet he wasn't at school. My friends also asked me why he wasn't at school today, but I told them I didn't know the reason.

I was sure it had something to do with the mating season, but it seemed like the other werewolves were here as well, which confused me. But then I noticed something else. Something that practically ripped my innards apart.

Helen was nowhere to be found as well. The two of us had the same lunch time, and usually, she would be sitting with the group of werewolves. Today, she wasn't there, along with Trey.

And I knew then, that they were most likely together for the day.

>>>>><<<<<

On the official first day of mating season, I felt like my eyes were stinging. At first they didn't because I saw Trey and felt a sense of relief to from seeing him. Of course, we didn't talk like usual and barely gave each other any glances, but just seeing him put me in a lighter mood than yesterday.

But later on, I was walking through the empty hallways from a bathroom break in the middle of class. I was minding my own business and was making my way back to class. But then I saw it.

As I was passing by a corner, something caught my eye, and I glanced in the general direction. It was Trey and Helen, and they had just come out of a staff bathroom—both their hair and clothes were rumpled and messy.

That was the moment my eyes began stinging. My throat also constricted and whenever I tried to swallow, it made my mouth feel even dryer. It was like the feeling I got before I threw up. But I knew that even if I did end up vomiting, I wouldn't feel any better.

I don't know if they noticed me or not, but they walked in the opposite direction from where I stood. I saw that Helen was grasping Trey's arm, trying to keep up. And he didn't care about her touching him.

When they disappeared at the end of the hallway, I sighed and leaned my back against the wall before knocking my head against it. I thought I was prepared for it. I knew I would see Trey with another girl, but it looked like I wasn't actually ready for the sight. Saying I would be okay and actually feeling it were two different things.

When I could breathe normally again, I stood up straight and walked back to class.

Throughout the day, I saw the two of them again, along with the rest of the student body. Again, it was just like the first time Dog left my house. Trey and Helen were always together as a couple, along with other werewolves who had chosen their partner for mating season. But my eyes were all on Trey, and I noticed that he and Helen seemed more...intimate than the first time.

Trey didn't touch Helen, but he allowed her to interlock her arm with his as she leaned on his side. Sure, they weren't kissing and making out in front of everyone, but the fact that they didn't need to do that to make them look like a couple made my heart sink even more.

The bell rang, and everyone immediately began scattering. Trey and Helen passed by me as they were walking by. Trey didn't even give me a glance to acknowledge that I was there. Helen, on the other hand, saw me and though her eyes were obviously fogged with lust, she still had the decency to give me a small, sad smile while blushing. It was an apologetic smile.