The Race

After making the deal with Minho and watching him walk away, you turned and headed towards the kitchen for dinner. "Hey Y/n!" Fry Pan called. "Hey Fry." You reply. "Can you call the boys for me please? Dinner is ready." He asks. You went and called the boys for dinner. As the boys lined up to get their dinners, you stood and helped Fry Pan dish out dinner. After everyone had gotten their food, Minho stood up on one of the tables and got the Gladers' attention. "Hey Shanks! Y/n and I are racing after dinner! Whoever wants to watch is free to watch but we are looking for some refs so we know who wins!" He yells. All the Gladers look at you. You blush. You hear a crash beside you and look to see that Fry Pan has his cutlery that was in his hands a second ago. "You racing Minho? You realize that you are going to lose right?" He asks. "Yeah, I know. But what's a little bit of fun?" You reply. "I guess. Good luck. I'll be watching." He says and turns to wash the cutlery he picked up without you realizing it. You turn back to the other Gladers to see them all staring at you. Then they all start to applaud. "Ya y/n!" They cheer. Newt comes up to you. "You are the first person to challenge Minho to a race in the years we've been here." He explains. "Oh." "Yeah." "But I didn't challenge Minho. He challenged me." You say. "Still. You'll be the first person to ever race him. So good luck. It's time." He says. You look at your uneaten bowl of stew. "It's better to run on an empty stomach. Just a bit of advice." Newt whispers to you. "Oh okay." "Let's go." He says as he pulls you by your hand to the racing grounds. You meet Minho there. "Okay. First one to the Wall and back wins." Minho explains. "Okay. Got it." "Okay. Newt count us down." "Take your mark. Get set. Go!" You and Minho take off as fast as you guys can towards the Wall. You are slightly behind Minho but not too far behind. Minho slaps his hand on the Wall just a few seconds before you. He turns back around and runs back towards the finish line at the same time as you. You can see the finish line coming up as you chase him back a few millimeters behind. You push yourself to go a little bit faster and you cross the finish line just seconds before him. There is pure silence all around you as people take a few minutes to realize what just happened and the realization that you beat Minho sets in. A round of applause erupted all around you. Minho comes up behind you panting. "Nice job Shank. I might just have to make you a Runner." He says with a smirk.