THE MAZE IS A CODE

Y/n's POV
Newt and I run as fast as we can towards the Deadheads, which isn't that fast, thanks to our limps. Newt reaches them first and when I reach them, I see Thomas on the ground with Ben attacking him. Out of the corner of my eye, I see a quick flash and before I realize what it is, Newt has hit Ben over the head with a shovel. Everything after that is a little hazy. It all happened in a blur. I remember the other Gladers running and holding Ben down, and running over to Thomas to see if he was okay. I remember Ben yelling something to do with Thomas putting us here. It was all so intense I don't even remember the rest. Next thing I knew, Thomas was hugging me tightly, thanking me and we were at the Homestead. Chuck, runs up to Thomas.
"Thomas! Are you okay?" He asked.
"Hey, Chuck. I'm okay, thanks. What the...shuck was wrong with that guy?" Thomas asked, using his first Glade word, causing Chuck and I to smile.
"That was Ben. I'm not sure what was up with him but by the sounds of it, he was stung." I reply.
"Stung? By what?"
"A Griever." I sigh. "Chuck, can I talk to you for a second?"
"Sure. Thomas, you good?" Thomas nods. We walk away from Thomas a little bit. "So, y/n, what's up?"
"I was wondering if...you know, while I'm out in the Maze...could you, you know, keep an eye on Thomas for me? Help him settle into the Glade a little bit? Maybe be his buddy?" Chuck smiles.
"I would love to!" He enthuses.
"Thanks Chuck, that means a lot. Could you let me know if anything ever seems off about him?"
"Anytime. Old Chuckie is on the job!" He laughs at his little joke as he walks back to Thomas. I smile inwardly, happy that someone would be there to keep an eye on Thomas.
"Hey, shuckface." I hear the familiar voice of Minho behind me. I whip around to face him, giving myself whiplash. I rub my neck.
"Hey, Minho. How was running?"
"Same old, same old."
"Sorry I missed it." I say, trying to guilt him. He catches on quickly.
"It was for your own good, you slinthead."
"I know, I know. I just wish I could have gone out too. A little too much happened here today."
"Yeah? Like what?" He smirks, not believing me.
"I'm sure you'll hear about it at the meeting for the Keepers that they are having soon. You know, you should probably go get ready for it."
"Yeah, I probably should. I forgot about that. Thanks y/n." He starts to walk away.
"See you at dinner Minho." I call after him. I head to the Homestead to get some rest before dinner. Jeff is there when I enter.
"Hey, y/n. How's the side?"
"Better. Still hurts though." He smiles.
"At least it's getting better." He says, shedding some light. I nod.
"Yeah, it is."
"Well, I will let you go. Make sure to get lots of rest." He instructs. "See you at dinner."
"See you at dinner." I move to the side so he can get through and make my way to my room. Technically, it's Newt's room too but I call it my room too. I yawn and lay on the bed, dozing off within seconds.

"I don't want to go! Thomas! Please!" I am screaming as two men drag me into a room.
"He can't hear you dear. It's time for you to go now." A woman says, nodding  at the two men holding me. They drag me to the room, which has a bed on it. Just as they inject the serum into my neck, Thomas runs in and hugs me. "Remember, the Maze is a code." He whispers. "I love you, y/n." I hear just as I go under.

I wake in a cold sweat. At first I think it was just a dream before realizing that it was a memory. The Maze is a code! I need to tell Newt! I think to myself. I get out of the bed and run out of the Homestead, scanning the Glade for Newt. I spot him coming out of the kitchen. I run up to him, before realizing how sad he looked.
"Newt? What's wrong?" I ask, holding my breath.
"They decided to banish Ben." He says, softly.
"Banish him? Like, throw him in the Maze?" He nods. I throw my arms around him. "I'm so sorry Newt!" I didn't know Ben too well, other than the fact that he was a Runner. But Newt has known him for so much longer than me. Throwing Ben to the Grievers would be like throwing his brother to the Grievers.
"I don't want you to come either." He tells me. "I don't want you to have to see that."
"But I want to be there to support you!" I argue.
"Please, y/n. It's hard enough that I have to banish Ben, I don't want to fight with you. Promise me you won't watch."
"Fine, I promise." I tell him. If Newt didn't want me to come then I wouldn't come.
"I have to go. I'll see you at dinner y/n. Get some rest." He says, walking away. When he says that, it reminds me that I wanted to tell him something, but what was it? I can't remember. I'll think of it eventually. I head to the kitchen to see if I could do anything. I run into Chuck and Thomas.
"Hey guys."
"Hey, y/n. What are you up to?" Chuck asks.
"I was just about to see if there was anything I could do to help with dinner." He shakes his head.
"We were just there. Frypan's got everything done."
"Oh, okay. I think I'll go take a shower then." I reply. I take a step in the direction of the showers and wince. A sharp pain shot up my side and I clamp a hand down on my hip, hoping neither one of them noticed. No luck. They look at me and Thomas puts a hand on my shoulder.
"I'm sorry." The words escape his lips before I could tell him it wasn't his fault.
"It's okay. It's not your fault." I tell him.
"But it is my fault. The knife was in my hand. I did this." He says, visibly upset.
"It was a mistake. I'm fine." I reassure him. I take another step and this one hurts much less. "See? Doesn't hurt."
"Okay, but I'm still sorry." Thomas says.
"Hey, Thomas. Come on! I hear that Alby wants to talk to you before they banish Ben." Chuck intercedes. "See you later, y/n!" He waves and they take off. I head to the showers and step in, letting the water hit my head as I think. What was it I wanted to tell Newt?

Hey guys. I know it's been a while. I really hope you liked this chapter! Let me know in the comments what you thought. I hope you are all staying safe. Thank you so much for sticking with me through this. Please comment! I love reading your comments! Stay safe everyone!
-Emily ❤️