How Did That Happen?

Y/n's POV

I never expected the night to end like this. Thomas and I headed to dinner and he sat with Newt and Minho and I sat in my room. I grabbed my dinner and he grabbed his but I was unable to get the fact that he put us here out of my head. I headed back to my room to eat and sat on the ground. Silently, I ate my food and started thinking.
"Everything okay?" I hear a familiar voice ask. I turn and see Newt standing in the doorway.
"Yeah, I'm okay. Just got a lot on my mind."
"Do you want to talk about it?"
"I just-I can't get the memory out of my head."
"What do you mean?"
"He put us here, Newt."
"Thomas?" He asked, unbelieving.
"Yeah, he put us here and watched them take me away without any emotion." I sigh. "I'm his sister and he couldn't care less that they were taking me away."
"What we did before the Maze shouldn't matter anymore. What matters now is what we do now and who we are, right now."
"I guess." I say. He sits next to me and I lean into him. He strokes my hair with his hand.
"Hey, why don't we go enjoy the bonfire and think about this later? You deserve the time to enjoy yourself. All that time in the Maze isn't good." He stopped stroking my hair and looked at me. "C'mon, it'll be fun." He smiled.
"Okay. Let's go." He stood up and extended his hand to me. I took it and he pulled me up. "Give me a minute. I'll be right there."
"Okay. Don't take too long though."
"Good that." He smiles and walks off. I sigh and turn around. I grab the shirt Newt gave me on one of my first days in the Glade and slipped it on over my shorts and tank top. Then, I headed out to the bonfire. It was fun. Everyone was drinking Gally's drink and dancing and having fun with each other. Eventually, everyone gathered around the circle to fight Gally. It was the usual thing at every bonfire. Just before the fighting started, Gally quieted everyone down to get their attention.
"Today, we have something special planned." He said, gesturing to Minho and himself. I groaned. Knowing Minho, I figured I would hate it.
"We decided that whoever wins each fight, gets to choose whether y/n sings infront of everyone or not." Minho said, grinning at me. Everyone clapped as I groaned. "Okay. Let the fight begin!" He yelled. Gally stepped into the circle and demanded for a challenger. At first, nobody volunteered. Suddenly, Thomas stepped up to fight. Everyone cheered.
"Oh come on! Somebody please give me a challenge!" Gally complained.
"He volunteered so you have to fight him." Minho told him. Gally groaned but they still fought. After many take downs, Thomas threw Gally out of the circle. Everyone cheered. "Do you want y/n to sing infront of everyone Tommy?" Newt asked. Thomas looked at me.
"Yes, I do want her to sing." He grinned. I sighed.
"Y/n! Y/n!" Everyone cheered. Newt stepped to the side with a smile on his face and I walked infront of the rest of the Gladers and faced them. They quieted down.
"I found a love for me
Darling, just dive right in
And follow my lead
Well, I found a girl, beautiful and sweet
I never knew you were the someone waiting for me." I sang, and the boys started cheering. "'Cause we were just kids when we fell in love
Not knowing what it was
I will not give you up this time
Darling, just kiss me slow, your heart is all I own
And in your eyes, you're holding mine."I smiled and looked at Newt when I sang this, then went on. "Baby, I'm dancing in the dark with you between my arms
Barefoot on the grass, we're listenin' to our favorite song
When you said you looked a mess, I whispered underneath my breath
But you heard it, darling, you look perfect tonight." At that, I grabbed Newt's hand and started swaying to the song. "Well, I found a woman, stronger than anyone I know
She shares my dreams, I hope that someday I'll share her home
I found a love, to carry more than just my secrets
To carry love, to carry children of our own." The boys were cheering and clapping so loud, my voice got drowned out in the noise. Soon, it seemed like it was just Newt and I dancing even though all the other boys were watching. I was beaming from ear to ear.
"Hey Greenie!" We heard someone tell. We all turn to see Gally charging towards Thomas. I was so drunk on happiness that it took me a moment to realize that Thomas was running towards the door to the Maze. I didn't know what he planned to do but before I realized what I was doing, I was running full speed towards him. I caught up to him in no time and tackled him to the ground. By the time I realized he had a knife it was too late. He had already accidentally stabbed me in the hip. I screamed in pain but still managed to hold him down until everyone else got there. Alby threw me off of him, making me whimper, and pick him up, carrying him off to the Slammer. Sitting and whimpering, I held my hip to ease the pain.
"Y/n? Are you okay?" Newt asks, concern lacing his words.
"Yeah, I'm okay. Go help Alby. I'll be fine." I reassured. He nodded and ran off. Within minutes, Clint and Jeff came and helped stitch me up. They kept asking me questions: if I was okay, how I was feeling, etc. I kept telling them I was fine.
"Guys, I'm fine. Now, may I please go check on Thomas?" They looked at each other before agreeing.
"But come to the Medhut when you are done. Got it?" Clint demanded.
"Fine. Now, can I go?" They nodded. I got up and walked over to Newt.
"Hey." I said, coming up beside him.
"Hey, you okay?"
"Yeah, it's just a scratch." I forced a smile even though I hurt.
"Didn't look like it."
"I'm fine okay? What happened with him?"
"We're not sure. He says he'll only talk with one person." He nodded at me slightly.
"He'll only talk to me." I concluded. He nodded.
"We threw him in the Slammer for the time being. But we'll need to figure out what happened soon."
"I'll talk to him." I said, taking a step forward.
"Oh no, you aren't. Alby won't let you until tomorrow. Right now, he's saying everyone needs to go to bed."
"Seriously? He knows I won't sleep right?"
"I tried telling him that but he won't listen."
"That shank! Like honestly!"
"Hey, hey. Calm down. You can talk to Tommy tomorrow." I groaned and leaned into Newt causing my side to flare up with pain. I winced. Newt looked at me and picked me up bridal style causing the pain to flare up again. I hiss in pain. "Sorry. Come on. Let's get to bed." I huffed in reply and he chuckled. He carried me to the Homestead and we went to his room. Laying me in his bed, he took the chair beside the bed and fell asleep quickly. I, on the other hand, couldn't sleep. So, I carefully got up so I didn't wake Newt and walked out of the room slowly, pain lacing every step. I headed over to the Deadheads and found my tree that I liked sitting in. I tried to climb it but I couldn't because of my side. Instead, I sat at the bottom of it, resting my head on the trunk of it. Closing my eyes, I sang a song I remembered from my past life.

"When we first met
I never thought that I would fall
I never thought that I'd find myself
Lying in your arms
And I want to pretend that it's not true
Oh baby, that you're gone
'Cause my world keeps turning, and turning, and turning
And I'm not moving on

Don't wanna feel another touch
Don't wanna start another fire
Don't wanna know another kiss
No other name falling off my lips
Don't wanna give my heart away
To another stranger
Or let another day begin
Won't even let the sunlight in
No, I'll never love." As I sang, I thought about Newt and what he meant to me. Eventually, I ended up singing myself to sleep wondering how everything had happened and why.

Hey guys. Thank you so much for being so understanding while I sort out my life. Things are still a little wacky here but I will try to post more often. I hope you are all staying safe during this crisis. Make sure to stay at home and spend time with your families ❤️ I just want to shout out to all the front line workers that are working to keep us safe ❤️ Thank you 🙏 Stay safe!
-Emily ❤️