Chapter 4. In Seoul

Chapter 4. In Seoul

Zhan landed with his new foreign family in the evening in a country that was foreign to him, with a foreign language.

They took him to a strange house, where he met strange staff and was taken to a strange room. The room of his new big foreign brother, which he had to share with him from then on. Not only the room, but also the bed.

Ever since the suitcase had changed owners, Zhan wondered if he had the right to have a say in the matter? How could it be that he was simply taken away somewhere without being asked? Didn't his opinion count for anything? Did he even have an opinion?

His new mother, the only one who could speak Chinese, looked at the old clothes he had in his suitcase and shook his head. "We have to go shopping first. You need proper clothes. You also need a proper haircut and a long bath." She said and took him outside with her.

His new brother came running up and bitched about something. "It seems Seo Joon wants to go with you." She said, forcing Zhan into a black limousine. Seo Joon sat down next to him and repeatedly stroked Zhan's head and hand. Until they got to a bathhouse.

Zhan and his brother bathed for an hour. Seo Joon tried to play with Zhan a little bit in the water but Zhan was just completely overwhelmed and actually only tired.

After the bath they went to a hairdresser where he got a new haircut. Immediately afterwards they went to several fashion shops where he felt he had to try on hundreds of clothes.

When they were finally back in the car late in the evening, with lots of new bags in the trunk, Zhan's eyes closed. He fell asleep on the spot and hadn't even noticed how they had brought him into the house.

Later the next day, when Zhan woke up again, he found himself in the close embrace of his new brother. Apparently Zhan took on the role of a stuffed animal for him, as he thought. But it didn't bother him. Jay also used Zhan as a kind of stuffed animal to snuggle up to. So this was nothing else, only that this was his two years older new brother.

At lunch his new mother explained his further career in this family to him. A very rich and influential family.

"You will be given private lessons starting tomorrow so that you can learn our language quickly. You will always be close to your brother and stay close to him. He has chosen you, which means he owns you. You should always listen to him, not just because he's two years older than you. Once you've mastered our language, you'll go to school. A private school that Seo Joon also goes to. You'll try your best to get good grades. There's no need to make many friends. The only one you should care about is your brother. Have you understood this so far?" His new mother had said.

Zhan nodded his head. So I belong to my brother? Just his? How does that work? Why is that? Zhan wondered, but dared not ask. He would just do as he was told. He was used to this.

Besides, Zhan somehow knew that if he did what was asked of him, he would have a good life with them. Even if he wasn't allowed to have an opinion of his own. But somehow he hadn't had them anyway.

Having a new family and even an older brother should have made Zhan happy, too. Although he was sold like cattle at the cattle market, he came to a good home. Yet there was nothing in him but emptiness and the feeling of being alone. And even here, in this distant land, he could hear the roar of a twin-engine airplane.

It made its rounds in the sky above him, once again pointing out to Zhan how lonely he still was. Even a new family could not take this feeling away from him.

Zhan and Seo Joon had spent the whole day together. Seo Joon showed him the toy that now belonged to both of them, he showed him the playground near the house and in the evening he sat together with him in their common room and painted. When it was time to go to bed, Zhan lay down in the bed, covered himself and closed his eyes.

But he did not expect that his new parents would come into the room and wish them a good night. This was something new for Zhan. Also, getting a good night kiss from both parents. It felt warm and cozy.

Seo Joon snuggled up to Zhan and put his arms around him. "Salanghae ZhanZhan." He said to Zhan and gave him a kiss on the cheek. Zhan had no idea what this meant, but assumed it was a good thing. He had decided to ask his Korean teacher about it.

Contrary to what he thought, Zhan fell asleep without any problems and practically immediately and woke up in the morning, relaxed and cheerful even though Seo Joon held him all night long. Seo Joon gave him a kiss on the cheek and said again, "Salanghae ZhanZhan." He grinned broadly.

Of course Zhan hadn't understood what his big brother wanted from him this time either. The latter slapped his hand on his forehead, grinned and said in Chinese, "I love you ZhanZhan."

Zhan wasn't sure if anyone had ever said this to him before and how he should react now, so he just hugged Seo Joon and smiled.

It was kind of ironic. There Zhan and his big brother were sitting in a study room of the house and both were studying. Zhan learned to speak Korean, read and write. And his brother learned to speak Chinese, read and write.

The Chinese teacher blinked at Zhan from time to time and gave him a friendly smile. The Korean teacher responded with a shake of the head. His first lesson in Korean lasted a full four hours and at the end of the lesson his teacher praised him. Also something that was new for Zhan.

Day by day this was going on. Getting up, breakfast, learning Korean, lunch, playtime with big brother, dinner, playtime, sleeptime. And Zhan liked it.

Not only did he have a good regular daily routine, he also learned quickly and was soon able to communicate with his brother. It didn't fill Zhan's inner emptiness, not even the feeling that everything would pass him by while he just watched. But he felt warm, safe and loved.

His brother was never tired of telling him every morning and every night that he loved him. And after two weeks in his new family, Zhan also told Seo Joon, I love you.

And it was true. He loved his big brother. At nearly seven years old now, he finally had someone who cared about him. To take care of him and spend time with him.

 To take care of him and spend time with him