Chapter 3: Mapleclaw

I walked along the shallows of the lake. The water felt cool on paws and felt the high energy tingling in my body just melt away with the calmness of the lake waves. This is nice, best way to relax after everything. I had sent Mothpaw out to catch something, anything really. She isn't doing well hunting wise... the water lapse at my ankles and removed my dissatisfaction with my apprentice.

"Mapleclaw?" Mothpaw's worried mew sounded from behind me. I sigh and turn my head around. She brought no prey at all and felt the disappointment surface at me again. Mothpaw's grey and brown fur shifted in the lake breeze and her dark green eyes sparked with frustration.

"Mothpaw I said you need to catch something" I raised an eyebrow, "if you caught air then you did great, but I don't think our clan mates can eat that"

"I know" Mothpaw sounded upset, "but Applebrook is having everyone come back to camp, Pineclaw has been killed"

Even beyond death he is still annoying me I growled in my head. "Alright, but we are doing this again tomorrow"

"Okay..." Mothpaw looked away out of disappointment in herself. I shook my head and lead my apprentice back to camp.

How do I train an apprentice who can't seem to go from practice to practical?

"How do you think Pineclaw died?" She asked.

"Fox or maybe a snake"

"Poor Petalpaw and Copperpaw..."

"They will get over it"

"Are you going to say the same thing about Flutterkit and Sycamorekit?" She grumbled. I pulled my ears back and glanced at my apprentice.

"They will be raised upon stories of how 'great' their father was, nothing more. Besides I grew up in times of a lot more death than this, I am completely fine and so will they"

"Pineclaw was a good cat, even if he was... very straightforward"

"Everyone says a cat was a 'good' cat after they are dead," I started lecturing, "like they are afraid of the dead cat striking them down from Starclan"

"Starclan is full of good warriors and such!" Mothpaw protested. I held back my snicker.

Yeah, sure... what is considered good is based on opinion... I felt the weight if my memories of my dad press my spirit down. Fox hearted coward...

"Isn't that what Starclan is? A place of rest for cats of greatness?"

"Yes, but not all cats are pure" I began again, "all cats lie or do something against the Warrior code at some point. 'Good' is subjective Mothpaw". Mothpaw stayed quite for a few moments, I guess she was thinking.

"Then what do you do to end up in the dark forest?"

"I don't know, guess it's up to how Starclan really judges cats"

"What if you don't believe in Starclan? Like Ravenclaw?"

I-umm... "It Starclan's judgment"

"Oh! So hopefully Ravenclaw will get into Starclan!" Mothpaw let out a breath of relief for the large black fluffy tom. We continued walking in silence and soon had made our way back to camp. Unlike this morning where every cat was chill, relaxed, and joyful, the air now was heavy with grief and suspense. Everyone was almost here which kinda surprised me. Wishstar and Applebrook really are quick about this. I quickly spotted Pineclaws still bloody body laying in some shaded protected area of camp and I stiffened. It would have been better if you weren't found so fast... I grumble. Orchidfrost came running over quickly, desperate to see if we were okay.