Chapter 13: Puddlesplash

"You sure you want to do this?" Rushfire asked me. The two of us were placed on a dawn border patrol with Applebrook and Sparrowscar. Applebrook was brought up to speed on everything by Wishstar and what she had told me, and decided he was gonna spend more time with me. 'Gotta support my favorite cat!' he had said with one of his goofy supportive smiles when we talked. But today I was put on a Skyclan border patrol. I hated doing it cause I always seemed to have the worse luck. Hawkflight was always on patrol when I was.

"I am totally sure!" I said a little too confidently that it kinda sounded fake. Starclan help...

"Okay" Rushfire gave me a small smile and licked my forehead. We walked off to where Sparrowscar and Applebrook waited by the entrance. None of the apprentices were allowed to leave camp so many were groaning and being bored. Sparrowscar was looking distantly off and hadn't noticed us approach.

"Hey guys!" Applebrook greeted cheerfully. Sparrowscar turned his head and smiled with joy

"Hey Puddlesplash, it's been awhile since we went on a patrol!" Dad chirped.

"Yeah, it has been awhile" I smiled back.

"Ready to go?" Applebrook made it seem a general question, but it was directed definitely to me.

"Yeah" I said quietly. No one else said anything and we left soon after. We headed for the Skyclan border in silence. I finally lifted my head from looking at the ground to see Rushfire was walking next to me, with Applebrook in front with Sparrowscar by his side.

"So far so good?" Rushfire whispered in my ear. I nodded at him and smiled weakly. Applebrook tried making conversation and it wasn't good.

"So Sparrowscar have you gotten to meet Luckywish and Darkclouds kits personally yet?" the deputy asked, though the answer was very obvious that it could have swiped and clawed his nose.

"Yeah..." Sparrowscar said softly, "I can't believe I am seeing the next generation already. I feel extra old now" We laughed lightly.

"When will you two be having kits?" Applebrook asked me and Rushfire. I glared at the cream tabby and Rushfire tensed up.

"We-ask Puddlesplash" Rushfire said looking away from me. Applebrook turned his attention to me. I visibly tensed up more and clenched my jaw.

"Well... Umm-we are planning on one day having kits but-" I started. "I am just not ready to..."

"Applebrook, I feel that was... inappropriate to ask them" Sparrowscar mumbled in my defense. I felt thankful dad had my back. Applebrook gave an embarrassed smile.

"Sorry..."

"But again, we do want some we just haven't had time"
I looked at Rushfire with a look of 'will talk about it later'. Sparrowscar looked around and smiled softly before quickly looking ahead again. I felt less anxious as I walked behind him. We had reached the border without saying anything more and began doing the normal thing. I tensed up again. No Hawkflight, no Hawkflight, no Hawkflight please... I repeated in my head. As we walked along, marking as we went, we soon met up with the Skyclan patrol. I tensed up even more and pulled my ears back as well as Rushfire, but he added a fluffed out angry tail. On the Skyclan patrol was Ashbreeze, Leafybush, and Hawkflight. My skin burned as I felt the red tabby glare at me. Rushfire quickly pushed himself into me and glared at his father as he glared back.

"Hello Applebrook" Ashbreeze said respectfully. The other two Skyclan toms watched Hawkflight with mild concern. "It is good to see you again Rushfire"

"Hi Ashbreeze! Leafybush!" Rushfire ignored his father, which sparked mild infuriation in the other toms yellow eyes.