Chapter 5: Sagelight

I was moving pretty proficiently even with a cat on my back. As I carried my mates brother back to camp my mind filled with questions.

How did Puddlesplash get all the way out here? He just walked out with his eyes closed. Was he sleep walking? Why couldn't he breathe when we got there? Why is he tired? My mind flooded with questions.

"He fell asleep again" Rushfire sounded terrified. I glanced and saw him watching his mate with intense worry.

"He'll be fine" I tried to sound hopeful. Rushfire's expression didn't change.

"First Pineclaw, and now Puddlesplash is..." the red tabby trailed off.

He doesn't know what happened. I don't think I can even explain what happened...

As we got in view of the camp entrance, I was surprised to see a lot of cats there. Wishstar must have been pacing before Applebrook spotted us as she looked a little winded. Sparrowscar was looking at his paws and had lifted his head quickly as he heard our approach.

"Oh Starclan, is he still alive?" Wishstar asked as she raced up to meet us, Applebrook at her heels.

"What happened to him? Is he injured? Was he attacked?" Sparrowscar sniffed his son over looking between Rushfire and I.

"He is fine, he fell back to sleep" Rushfire answered, unable to make his concern.

"Coldheart and Moonwater are waiting. Once you drop him off you are all telling me what happened" Wishstar ordered.

"I'll help you Sagelight" Applebrook came to my other side and swung Puddlesplash over into his back. I relaxed a little but then followed Applebrook though the tunnel. Foxhop sat bellow the leaders rock looking anxious while Coldheart and Moonwater waited by the entrance of the medicine cat den looking alarmed. In camp, all the cats doing vigil were still asleep. Seems everyone is as able to stay quiet and discreet. As everyone followed behind us Sparrowscar turned to Luckywish.

"Go back to the nursery, Darkcloud will be wondering where you went" he whispered

"Are you sure?" Luckywish glanced back at Puddlesplash as Applebrook carried him into the medicine cat den. Coldheart was sniffing Puddlesplash as he was carried in.

"Yeah, your brother will be fine. Besides you need to stay in quarantine" Sparrowscar tried to reassure his youngest.

"Ugh..." Luckywish mumbled as he trotted off to his kits and mate in the nursery. Everyone flinched at the toms unknowingly cruel sigh.

It's not fair to send him away with Puddlesplash like this... what ever THIS is...

"The rest of you, my den, now" Wishstar voice was authoritative. We were all tired, but still followed our leader up the path and into her den. Foxhop and Sparrowscar joining us. We moved our way up to the leaders den quietly, and me hoping no one taking vigil has woke up yet. Even after entering and with the tendrils blocking some of the moon light, you can still easily pick out where and who cats were. Wishstar took a seat on her nest while Applebrook sat next to her. Skyleaf and Sparrowscar sat up against the rocky wall of the leaders den. The rest of us sat with our backs towards the entrance. I couldn't help but feel like we were apprentices getting in trouble.

No time for jokes Sagelight I scolded myself. Foxhop sat very close to me, wrapping his tail around his paws and trying not to seem upset, though his green eyes can't lie. I wrapped my tail around him to comfort my mate. On my other side Rushfire flexed his paws in irritation. He would rather be with his mate right now...

"While we wait for Coldheart, can you three tell me why you didn't get anyone when Puddlesplash started acting weird?" Wishstar asked, now calmer.

"I thought he was sleep walking so I followed him to make sure he would be fine" Rushfire answered before Foxhop or I could. "Luckywish was just coming back from making dirt while Sagelight and Foxhop were on night duty. We really did think it was just sleep walking"