Chapter 17: Mapleclaw

Where is Mothpaw? I thought as I looked around the territory past stone hallow for her. Applestar, originally called Applebrook, has everyone busy as to not dwell on our slowly healing old territory. It's only been two moons but yeah, it still has scars. There hasn't been a gathering because so many clans were busy repairing and healing but everyone is anxious to know how the others are doing. Except for Riverclan, much from what I have heard through the patrol vine the fish eaters have been bragging about not getting hit by the fire. "Mothpaw!" I yelled.

"Here!" She yelled back, I followed her voice and found her standing triumphantly over a squirrel she caught. "I used Puddlesplash's technique he taught me" she said with a mocking tone. I grumbled a little but said nothing towards the remark.

"Come on then, let's get back to camp" I slowly led her back down to our perfectly new camp. The camp walls were stronger than originally as a few hungry foxes tried to attack us but they realized it wasn't worth it pretty quickly. The camp was barren, with only the queens, leader, and few relaxing warriors inside. No one wanted to be near our old forest, or in camp for that matter. Rushfire and Puddlesplash were talking to Coldheart and I couldn't help but feel anger bubble in my belly again.

"I'm gonna drop this off" Mothpaw said blankly with the squirrel in her mouth. I held my tongue and watched as she wandered to the fresh kill pile.

"Mapleclaw!" Skyleaf came bounding over and once again I had to bite my tom as to not insult my deputy.

"Yeah?"

"I need you to take night watch tonight, I forcing Darkcloud to sleep"

"Alright, I'll take watch" I said. The white and brown tabby smiled gratefully at me.

"Thanks Mapleclaw!" Skyleaf said and wandered away to talk with some other warriors. My eyes wandered back to Puddlesplash and Rushfire as they seemed to be having a serious discussion. Puddlesplash looked less miserable today, but still tired looking.

I guess that is good... maybe he is finally airing his feelings I reasoned a little. I remembered how I yelled at Puddlesplash for being a coward and for helping my apprentice, and regret hit me like a rock slide. Why did I yell at him? I know I was angry, to be honest I am still jealous now, but Mothpaw is doing much better just after one talk with him... and he is going through a lot. I don't think my issues should be something he should have to fix. If I apologize it might make him less depressed maybe? I sighed deeply and walked over to Puddlesplash, now that the two mates had finished talking with Coldheart. "Puddlesplash, can we talk?" I asked. My silver and brown friend turned his head and looked a little surprised.

"Oh, umm..." he looked back at Rushfire and he shrugged. Puddlesplash followed me to a secluded area away from listening ears.

"I wanna apologize for how I acted. You were just trying to help and to be honest I was just jealous you got Mothpaw felt more comfortable asking help from another cat rather than me. I would understand if you-"

"It's okay Mapleclaw, I should have asked you for permission first" he interrupted. His voice was low but still kind.

"No really Puddlesplash you didn't do anything wrong" I insisted, which took him by surprise. "I really was just lashing out in jealousy and frustration. You are a good cat, an amazingly kind cat, please just take my apology and roll with it. It's not like you usually take them when you should" I laughed. To my own surprise he laughed too. It was the first time since Luckywish's death that he actually looked happy. He glanced at he and smiled.

"Thank you, I-I needed that"

"No problem, and hey I know you have Rushfire and your goofy brother but if you need another pair if ears I am here for you"

"Can I give you some advice?"

"Umm sure, what is it?" I said, raising an eye brow.

"You should apologize to Mothpaw too" he looked at he with real determination. "She blames herself for you lashing out, and I have noticed she has been extra snarky with you. It is a bad idea to have a strained relationship with you apprentice when still training her, obvious I know, but I know you want to still have a relationship with her afterwards". I sighed.

"I know, it's just that we are both so stubborn and snarky" I aired out. "Mothpaw wants to prove herself to me yet wants to constantly challenge me, or argue with me yet clings to every words I say as if it's a prophecy from Starclan".

"She both admired you and acts like a moody, rebellious apprentice" he added on.

"Do you really think she will accept an apology?"

"Yes, and if not you can just try and rebuild the trust from the ground up" he patted my head, "it'll just take longer that's all". He got up to leave and gave me one last grateful smile. "Thanks for everything, and hope my advice helps ya"

"You better or I might make you take over night watch" iI joke threatened. He gave me a mischievous grin before wandering off. Following Puddlesplash advice I hurriedly went off in search of my apprentice once again. It was easy to find her as she didn't get far, she was sitting outside the apprentice den looking a little bored. She spotted me approaching and her tired expression soured.

"What do you want now? More training already?" Mothpaw said with a lot of tone once I reached her.

"No actually, I wanna apologize" her green eyes went wide with confusion and surprise.

"Wait what?"

"I realize now I was trying so hard to make you the perfect warrior that I didn't think about the amount of pressure and work I was putting you under, not realizing it was my fault you were behind. And then when I heard you taking hunting tips from Puddlesplash, I lashed out all my frustration at myself towards you and him". There was an awkward silence between us before Mothpaw finally spoke.

"Maybe I shouldn't have been so dismissive about my less than adequate hunting skills, I just thought if I made up for it in other aspects you would ignore it. But when you didn't and started to criticize me hard on it I felt less than and pressured to preform as well as Slatefoot or Puddlesplash"

"I guess we are jacking in the communications part of our friendship" I laughed. She laughed too and quickly put her head on my chest.

"I-I just wanna make you proud of me" she said softly.

"I am, I really truly am proud of you"