Chapter 37: Sagelight

I woke up early today. Getting out of my nest carefully to not disturb my four sleeping kits. I silently left the nursery and sat outside. The rain from yesterday had froze over from the temperatures dropping last night. The sting of the cold prickled my paws as I took in a deep calming breath of the cold air. As I let it out I could see my warm breath become a foggy cloud before disappearing into the cold morning. The sun was barely up, making the clear sky glow with oranges, reds, and yellows. The dim Dawn light hit the clearing. Making the frozen area glitter and sparkle in a beautiful dazzle of light. It was beautiful. On one side of the clearing I saw dawn patrol begin to gather. Slatefoot yawned as he let Nightrain lean against him. Fallenpaw hung her head as he played with an ice patch below her paws.

I guess they were waiting for some cat still just as I finished my thought Cardinalrush ran out of the warriors den in a panic and met with group. Slatefoot scolded her and then the group set out to do dawn patrol. I saw from the corner of my eye movement by the medicine cat den. I turned my head to see Moonwater looking worriedly at the entrance. I put two and two together. Is Coldheart and Mapleclaw not back from the moonpool yet? I trotted over to Moonwater to ask what was wrong, careful not to slip on the thin ice. "Moonwater are you okay?"

"I-I bet I am just worried for nothing" she looked down at her paws. "Coldheart and Mapleclaw haven't gotten back yet"

"I bet he is fine" I wrapped my tail around my friend. "How is Daisyeyes and Fennelpaw?" I asked. I was trying to distract her.

"Daisyeyes woke up last night" Moonwater said with relief, "Fennelpaw is so happy she is. Right now though the two are sleeping".

"That is great!" I said with a smile. Moonwater smiled back weakly but glanced back at the entrance.

"Maybe I'll ask Puddlesplash if he and I can go to the moonpool if Coldheart and Mapleclaw aren't back by sunhigh"

"I think they will be back before then" I tried again to reassure her. She didn't falter in her worry. An idea popped into my head when I glanced at the nursery. "Hey, would you be willing to entertain Plumkit? She doesn't like playing with her rough littermates but she enjoys spending time with you! If that is okay with you of course"

"Actually, Coldheart and I have been discussing this" she looked up at me with hope, "Plumkit shows obvious interest in us, would it be okay if we asked her if she wants to become a medicine cat?"

"You don't need my permission to ask her a question, if Plumkit wants to be a medicine cat then she can be that"

"It is just such an important decision," Moonwater trailed off, "and she might feel pressured or something"

"You are starting to sound like Puddlesplash when he was an apprentice" I laughed. She laughed a little.

"Maybe your right," she smiled up at me, "I'll ask her later"

"It would be nice if she said yes, since Coldheart is retiring soon" Moonwater laughed at my statement. "What? Is he not?"

"I asked him about that, and Coldheart said he would rather get smited by Starclan than retire to be an elder"

"Oh Starclan" I grumbled before laughing with her.

"Screechkit get off!" Eaglekit squelch angrily at his littermate. I sighed heavily at the sounds of my kits coming from the nursery. Giving Moonwater an apologetic look I as wandered back over to the nursery to deal with my kits. I could hear them bicker as I walked over.

"Never! Not till you surrender to me Shadowclan scum!"

"Why do I have to be Shadowclan? Why can't you be!?"