Chapter 40: Maplestar

"Maplestar?" Puddlesplash sounded sincerely worried. His head poked through the dying tendril that used to cover my den entrance.

"What is it?" I grumbled. Sitting up in nest. The air had a cold nip to it, making it hard to leave the warmth of the moss that made my nest.

"Briarstar is here... oddly" Puddlesplash nodded down at the clearing. "She somehow knows your leader and is asking you by name"

"How? Unless Windclan has been chatty at the border". Puddlesplash just shrugged and left the entrance. I got up and left my den amongst the rocks. I looked down over the edge of high ledge to see Briarstar was there with a warrior of hers, Flailbelly, and her deputy, Shortlake. "Good evening Briarstar" I called from highrock. The black tortoiseshell leader looked up with knowing smile.

"I am sorry to intrude Maplestar, but I wish to have a discussion with you"

"Off what accords?" I said with a raised eye brow. Briarstar glanced around at my warriors watching with suspicion and intrigue. Puddlesplash had jumped down and sat below high ledge.

"One of which I want to speak in private with you about"

"So be it, but just you" I growled with flick of my tail. She nodded and looked at her warrior and deputy to stay put. Puddlestar looked up at me for permission and I shook my head no. Briarstar came up to high ledge and we entered my den together. "What is it you want to talk about?" I said sitting down.

"I want to discuss future endeavors with you" she smiled too sweetly that was obviously fake.

"Cut that dung out" I grumbled. She stopped and gave me an annoyed look.

"I had received... well- let us just information that Applestar didn't leave on the best if terms" the glint her hazel eyes made my blood freeze and realization left a weight in my gut. Hoping my gut was wrong I played dumb.

"I don't know what you mean? Unless you are referring to the landslides you refused to help Windclan deal with"

"And I see the kind hearted Thunderclan took them in even after loosing Applestar to... oh what was it?" she paused. "Ah yes, a landslide you escaped but sadly he didn't". I stayed quiet, my nerves firing in my body. They were telling me to run, yell, or murder her to keep the tortoiseshell quiet. Briarstar took my panicked silence as an affirmative. "Well, I think it would be appropriate to use said information to my advantage"

"If you think blackmailing me will work you have the wrong idea" I hissed.

"If it wasn't you wouldn't have such a panic look in your eyes" Briarstar said slyly back. I growled and glared claws are her. The older cat didn't flinch at my hostility. "I want part of Shadowclan territory with my clan growing. And if they have a smaller territory they wouldn't be growing as large either".

What is she planning?

"That is where you come in" Briarstar sneered. "Riverclan obviously doesn't have that type of force to impose that on Tinystar, that stubborn badger if a leader. Especially if the other clans jump to their defense"

"I don't see where Thunderclan comes into this, Riverclan and Shadowclan have the other two clans between us. What force could I even apply against you if you were to take Shadowclan territory?"

"I was hoping if you attacked Windclan than that would keep them busy, since you are so buddy buddy with Skyclan they will stay out of it. I'd say you can even take territory from them as payment to your warriors"

"I have no quarrel with Windclan at the moment, and none with Shadowclan either"

"Does your issues really matter in this scenario? No need to answer the question it was rhetorical"

"Briarstar I truly don't know what you are trying to blackmail me with, but at this rate you have over stated your welcome. I suggest you leave" I tried to insist. Briarstars smug façade fell quickly and her hazel eyes became cold with hatred.

"Listen here you disrespectful rat" Briarstar hissed. I glared at her through slits surprised by the sudden change in tone. "You're gonna help me or that little stunt with the landslide is going to be something every clan knows, or at least a twisted version that you killed Applestar" the older leader smirked. I visually tensed up at that.

"You must be seeing things with those old eyes if yours" I remarked.

"You really ready to take that bet?" Her smirk came back.

"Fine..."

"What was that?"

"I said FINE!" I growled lowly Briarstar took a step back.

"Will attack after Leaf-bare, just so I can count how many of your warriors survive it" She smirked one last time as she began to leave, pausing outside the entrance. "Oh I also expect you to inform Whitestar he better stay out of these fights, or I will target him. Or maybe I'll force you too"

Fox dung...

***

"Whitestar I don't really care what you think, I am just here to inform you of Briarstars plans. That doesn't mean however I want you to jump down my throat about it!" I raised my voice at the black and white fluffy leader of Skyclan. The two of us were in his den in Skyclan camp. A trunk with a large and deep hole in it.

"I don't care, you are just as mouse-brained as Briarstar to be going along with her crazy idea!"

Not like I have a choice... I don't even know how to break this to my clan mates.

"What if she turns on us after she us done with Shadowclan? Did you even think of that?"

"Thunderclan can take care of itself, and if Briarstar does attempt anything against you I and the rest of Thunderclan will turn on her"

"I am sorry Maplestar but I can't have that for my clanmates, much less endorse your endeavors"

"What are you saying Whitestar?"

"I am saying I am ending our alliance. I can't have Skyclan conn-"

"What?! That isn't needed Whitestar!" I panicked yelled. Not something I meant to do but emotions where caught up in the flurry of conversation. The tom looked startled but stayed firm.

"I worked hard to build some level of respect between us and Shadowclan. I can't risk that bad blood resurfacing for glory that Riverclan"

"Whitestar please don't do this! What of Rushfire? Your cutting him off from his kin" I begged. How will I explain this to Puddlesplash? To my clanmates?

"I am sorry Maplestar, but I have to ask you to leave" Whitestar flicked his tail towards the entrance behind me. I lost my temper.

"Fine! I hope you feel good about this!" I yelled before stomping out.