thirty two | this is me praying that

When we came home from the beach that night, Tyler and I fell asleep on the couch together while watching a movie. We must have fallen asleep pretty late, but for whatever reason I still woke up sometime during the middle of the night.

I got up as carefully and quietly as possible so I could grab a glass of water without waking up Tyler. Obviously, that mustn't have worked, because I heard footsteps sneaking up behind me as I stood in the darkened kitchen. It frightened me at first- I instantly assumed a ghost was coming for me, but when I turned around I was just met with a sleepy Tyler standing there in his pajamas.

"What are you doing up?" I whispered as I filled up the glass with water from the fridge.

"I heard you get up and I instantly felt unrelaxed, like I couldn't go back to sleep without you there. I know it sounds dumb, but I'm afraid to let you leave my side," he admitted, taking a few steps closer to me so he could wrap his arm around me. "I promise I won't be this clingy forever."

"You can be clingy for as long as you want," I replied, ruffling his messy chestnut brown hair. I intertwined my fingers with his, leading him back to the couch. After getting under the blanket together, I nuzzled my head into the crook of his neck, wrapping my arms around him tightly. "A lot has happened to us this year, but we're together now. We're okay," I mumbled against his skin.

I closed my eyes, breathing in his same scent that had comforted me throughout the past year. It brought back memories of the palace. Times we had held each other close when we couldn't sleep or maybe just when he was feeling a little stressed. Wherever that scent came from, it was his. It was attached to his clothing, his room, his skin, his hair- anything that was a part of him. It was the only scent that could instantly bring me comfort and make my heart melt within seconds.

"When we first met, I never would've thought that I'd be holding you with me just a few months later," he thought aloud. "It's kinda funny how things work out."

"Yeah," I smiled. "I've always wondered what it'd be like to marry a prince. But I guess I'll know sooner or later," I teased, earning a slight nudge in the arm from Tyler. I knew he didn't like being referred to as the prince, but I couldn't help but joke about it.

"If the Selection worked out how it was supposed to, we would've been married by now," Tyler commented with a chuckle. "But I guess now we have more time to act like a normal couple, if that's what I should call it. How long are you supposed to be together before you get married anyway? I wouldn't know."

"It doesn't really matter, as long as you feel ready," I responded truthfully.

"That's a dumb answer," Tyler stated. "How do I know when I'm ready?"

"When you know you want to spend the rest of your life with the person....?"

"I already know I want to be with you forever, though," Tyler mumbled into my hair as he kissed the top of my head. "But I know I'm not ready to get married. So pick a better answer please." I rolled my eyes at his sassy response.

"Okay..." I started, thinking to myself before I decided to answer. "You'll be ready after spending some more time with that person and learning more about them. You have to grow together," I explained. I felt Tyler slightly nod his head. "Now, answer my question. When do you know you want a baby?"

His eyes widened, and he shook his head vehemently. "No! No baby talk," he demanded.

"It's not like we're having one! I'm just asking-" I tried to explain myself, but he interrupted me.

"Lalalalala I can't hear you!" He sung, covering his ears with both of his hands. I squinted my eyes at him disapprovingly, amused by his childish behavior.