thirty seven | these are the words i held back

"Is that everything?" I asked as I finished hanging up Tyler's shirts in the closet. We were moving all of his belongings into his new apartment, and I had offered to put his clothes away.

"Yup, I think so," he stated, looking inside the boxes to see if there was anything that we might've missed. The boxes were empty though, so we we took that as our cue to lay down and take in the atmosphere of the new place.

We were both on his bed, my head against his chest and his eyes slightly closed. He was probably exhausted from waking up super early and the long plane ride it took to get here.

"So which bed do you prefer? Your bed at the palace, or this one?" I asked jokingly. All of the beds at the palace seemed to be huge, and on top of that, extremely comfortable. But I had still always preferred my own bed at home. However, the palace was home to Tyler, so I was curious as to what he'd think.

"I think the bed that you've slept in most of your life will always be more comfortable," he said. "But, I think I'll get used to this one pretty quickly. As long as you're here to cuddle with me," he explained with a chuckle.

"Stop it," I groaned playfully. I always loved to act annoyed whenever he said something slightly cute or romantic, even though deep down it never really bothered me.

"Remember how I said I wouldn't stay this clingy?"

"Yes?"

"Well... I might have to take that back," he stated, wrapping his arms around me. "I can't stop myself from hugging you every second."

"Luckily for you, I feel the exact same way," I replied.

After a bit of silence, I figured that Tyler had
already fallen asleep. His eyes were shut and his hand had stopped soothingly rubbing against my shoulder. I stayed still, careful not to wake up the sleeping boy next to me. Maybe I was stuck staring at the ceiling for quite a while, but I was happy that I didn't get to miss a moment of feeling his warmth engulf me.

It was strange just how comfortable we could be together now- he could fall asleep, and I could simply lay next to him and still feel content. When we first met, he was rude and seemingly wanted nothing to do with me, so it was funny to see how easily things had changed.

I never expected to be with Tyler, even when my sister assured me I would win before I had left for the palace. I thought that joining the Selection would just earn me a friend or two, and although I did make new friends, having Tyler laying down next to me in his new apartment down the block from my home never crossed my mind.