Chapter 18

Hey, so here's a little recap of the story so far in case you've  forgotten (I mean obviously) ....

Manik and Nandini are a happily married couple who can't have a baby. Conditions bless them with Tara, a one year old baby whom Manik meets after a fire rescue.
As for the last chapter, Tara gets injured due to hot boiling water, Nandini rushes her to the hospital. When the doctor assures them about the baby's health, they take her home.

HAPPY READING.

By the time they reached home, Nandini and Manik's parents had already arrived. Manik thought it would be better to let Tara sleep in the room upstairs but Nandini insisted on holding her while she slept. Manik gave in and handed her over.

All of the family members were totally baffled after hearing what had happened but they were even more shocked when they heard Nandini blaming herself.

"Nandu no baccha, don't be so hard on yourself! Aise toh hota rehta hai." Manik's mom tried to comfort her as they all settled in the living room.

"Haa mom aap hi samjhaiye ise. I've been trying to tell her that all the way through." Manik said raising his hands up in the air and cuddling Adi.

"Nandu, tere liye ye sab naya hai. Ofcourse baby ke saath bohot jyaada careful rehna padta hai but you will learn beta. I am sure." Nandini's mom chimed in.

"I know amma. But mere learning mein I can't compromise her safety na." Nandini still tried to reason out as she gently caressed Tara's wounds.

"Offo Nandini, itni chinta mat karo. Tumhe pata hai ek baar toh Cabir had dropped Adi when he was just 5 months old. We thought he broke his spine or something, but the doctor assured nothing was wrong." Navya added.

"What! Really Cabir?!" Manik gave a disgusting look at Cabir while fakely rubbing Adi's back and somehow Adi too gave him a bad look. Cabir just shrugged off with a glare.

"Arey haa! Remember Neyonika? Manik jab chota tha I also dropped him on the floor and there was a huge bump on his head for days." Manik's dad said.

And how could Cabir leave a chance. "Really uncle? Sar pe gira tha ye? Lagta hi tha mujhe."

Manik smacked him in his head and that did lighten up the mood.

After dinner, Tara slept through all the chaos and the cluttering in her daddy's arms.

Nandini was in the kitchen and Manik was watching football in the living room when Tara finally wiggled and woke up from her dreamy sleep.

Manik immediately turned the TV down and tended to her. Nandini sensing the noise quickly came outside.

Manik laid her his lap as she quietly stared at them, taking in her surroundings. They waited anxiously for her to react.

"Hi princess! You are finally up. Papa missed you so much." Manik tried to get her attention. But she just looked at them with droopy eyes.

"Oh come on my sleepy head. Atleast cry a little if you are hurting anywhere." Nandini pleaded.

She finally just gave them a little smile and cuddled into Manik. "Pappppa"

"Ohhhh.... yes darling papa is here. You missed me?" Manik heaved a breath and held her closer. Nandini got misty eyed again as she ran her hand over her tiny head.

"Dekha Nandu, perhaps she dosen't even feel any pain."

"I hope so Manik." Nandini smiled in relief.

A few days later...

Today, they had decided to take Tara to a pediatrist, that Navya recommended. Since they couldn't find Tara's hospital reports, they wanted to consult a doctor regarding her vaccinations.

Manik was already stressed right from the morning after knowing about vaccines. He had always been dead scared of needles and imagining Tara crying due to one of those, was something he just didn't like. But like always, Nandini tried to be the calmer one in this situation too.

Nandini was driving and Manik was in the passenger seat with Tara on his lap. She loved seeing out of the window and giggle looking at the passing cars.

Manik sadly looked at her and turned his head to give an annoying look to Nandini, almost glaring at her.

Nandini noticed this and could'nt help but laugh at him. "Manik what??"

Manik clicked his lips. "Come on yaar, Nandini look at her! She is so happy. Completely oblivious of everything. Use lag raha hoga hum picnic jaa rahe hai..."

"Manik its okay na. She's a brave girl I know. Injections se sirf tumhe dar lagta hai."

"Very funny." Manik said making a not-so-funny face.

All through the ride Manik kept cuddling to Tara and tried to make her speak new words. To which, all that she replied was 'mamma' and 'papppa'.

Just when they were about to enter the hospital lobby, a lady was exiting, carrying a wailing baby in her arms. As soon as Manik saw this, his nerves went wild. He immediately covered Tara's eyes and ears and tried to make a run. But Nandini pulled him back by the elbow and forced him in.

Manik reluctantly followed her still covering Tara's eyes. The receptionist gleamed at them. She took Tara's vitals and asked them to wait in the waiting area.

Yet again, there were plenty of mothers carrying their crying and wailing babies. Manik did not like that at all. He held Tara closer and tried to hide her in his coat. Tara too willingly snuggled up in his arms, sensing other people. Nandini just laughed and admired those two.

A woman next to them came up to say hello. "Hello ji. Mera naam mrs. Khanna aur yeh mera beta hai Tony." She said showing her probably two year old toddler. She was overly smiley.

Nandini smiled polietly and muttered a hello back and Manik just stared.

"Aapki beti ka naam kya hai ji?" Nandini smiled, "ji Tara naame hai."

"Arey waah kinna sona naam hai." She tried pulling Tara's cheek. "Aur kinni pyaari bacchi hai!"

Both Tara and Manik visibly cringed at her words and actions. Nandini awkwardly smiled at the lady.

"Umm woh bore ho gayi hai." She lamely excused. "Manik why don't you go over to the play area huh! Tab tak mein..." Nandini suggested.

Manik gladly walked away immediately. "Bach gaye princess." He whispered in Tara's ears.

Seeing such a handsome man doned up in a suit, protectively carrying a baby girl in his arms was a treat for every woman in the waiting area. Nandini rolled her eyes and mentally added the kala tika to both of them.

Later, the receptionist called out their name, disturbing the father- daughter play session. Manik unwantingly gathered Tara in his arms again and walked towards the doctor's cabin.

He was not used to be this scared for something. Not even for the, all year record, presentation infront of the board of the directors.

Nandini masked her fear with a strong face but she was more worried about Manik than Tara.

End of chapter...

ANYBODY STILL THERE?
ANY NEW READERS?

SO, HOW DID YOU ALL LIKE THE CHAPTER? OR, DID YOU LIKE THE CHAPTER AT ALL? PLEASE DO LET ME KNOW.

ALSO, DO YOU GUYS WANT ANYTHING SPECIFIC SCENES IN THE STORY?
ALTHOUGH I HAVE THE BASIC PLOT OF THE STORY DECIDED, I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT YOU ALL WNAT TO READ. IT WILL HELP ME SHAPE THE STORYLINE.

PLEASE DO VOTE AND COMMENT OF YOU LIKE THE CHAPTER.

BEST COMMENT WILL GET A SHOUTOUT IN THE NEXT ONE (#GREEDYWRITER)!