Chapter 24

WE ARE SO CLOSE TO 100K READS, WHAT?!?!?!? YOU PEOPLE ARE ANGELS.

NOTE- SOME OF YOU WERE SURPRISED BY THE LEAP IN THE LAST CHAPTER. I JUST WANTED TO LET YOU KNOW, THAT I DON'T WANT TO STRETCH THE STORY UNNECESSARILY. SO THERE WILL BE FREQUENT LEAPS THROUGHOUT.

HAPPY READING.

"And so, the princess rode the unicorn and flew into the sky..." Manik finally completed the made up story as he stroked Tara's feathery hair while she laid wrapped in her pillows and blankets.

"But Papa u-unicorns are not real!" Tara didn't hesistate to sass back and Manik stared defeated at his 'too smart for her age' daughter.

Tucking her in bed was a difficult job. Especially when Nandini was at work and especially when Tara was extremely agitated for the next day.

Tomorrow was going to be her first day at the preschool. Tara was still skeptical about meeting new people but Manik and Nandini wanted her to make some friends and knew that a preschool would benefit a lot. But Tara was hesitant and it made her difficult to fall asleep.

"Papa I don't wanna go there, pleaseee." Manik could clearly see how scared his little girl was and he absolutely hated it. But he was also aware that she would eventually end up loving the school, so he just had to try and cajole her.

"Princess, you will like the school. You just have to go there and play. Just like you do with Adi."

Tara gazed at him for a while and he patiently kept stroking her hair. "Will you also be there?" Pure innocence dripped from her voice.

"Mumma and me both will be there to drop you, and when the time is up we'll pick you back and get you home. Alright?" Unsatisfied with his response Tara just nodded her head.

"Don't be sad boo." Manik tried to settle her in his lap. "What can papa do to cheer up his love, huh?"

And with that question, the gloomy eyes turned naughty and a big smirk appeared on the pouty lips. Tara sprang up from his lap and sat acroos him. Manik knew he had got himself into trouble.

"Mumma na, she hid a cookie jar! Kithchen mein." Tara explaimed. "Can we go eat cookies papa?" She was jumping up and down with excitement already.

Manik stared at her hard, for a long minute, testing her patience. "But you know the rule girl!"

Tara's face fell and she flopped down. "No sweets before bed." She recited the unwritten rule of Malhotra household.

"Oh ho, that's mumma's rule." Manik hid a grin. "My rule is that you'll have to share it."

Tara's face lit up yet again and she threw herself against him. "I love you papaaaa." She expressed her thank you's by showering tons of kisses on his cheeks and Manik enjoyed them all.

Tara led the way down the stairs dragging Manik behind her. He knew Nandini would kill him for this, but he had to make his daughter happy.

Manik settled the little girl in her pajamas on the dining table and went to fetch the cookie jar.

"Here it is my lady!" He put down the  glass jar infront of her as she gave a shout of delight. "But only... only two okay. Cause mommy will murder me for this."

She agreed to the condition and grabbed the large chocolate chip cookie and Manik picked out a cashew one. Munching on and on and finishing their quota, Manuk dusted off his hands. But Tara had some other plans.

"Papaaa...?" She started. "Can I have one more pleaseee?"

"Well, you are not allowed to baby, but you're being really cute! Here you go." Saying, he casually handed yet her another cookie. And Tara gleed in thrill.

I am so whipped. He thought.

Now when the little tummy was full with cokkies and the mouth filled with chocolate, Tara's eyes were getting drowsy. Manik was barely able to clean her up properly when she fell asleep on his shoulders. Giving up, he carried her back to the bedroom. Laying her down on the plush mattress, he covered her tiny body with a comforter. Kissing her goodnight twice, one from him and the other from mumma, he switched on the night light, and left the room leaving tbe door wide open for her.

Manik knew Nandini won't be home for another hour, so he decided to put on some movie while he waited for her.

Exactly over an hour later, Nandini came back home, looking all tired and worn out. She entered the bedroom, slagging off the floor.

"Wow, don't you look fresh!" Manik exclaimed to which she gave a tired smile.

"I am this close to passing out." She made a small pinch out of fingers and fell fown on the bed. "Tara so gayi?" She asked stifling a yawn herself. Reaching over, Manik sorted her hair and caressed her shoulders. "Yeah she did. You gotta eat something before you fall asleep babe."

"No I had some rubbish food at the meeting. I just want to sleep." Nandini shifted her head into Mnaik's lap  kicking off her shoes. "But did you eat?"

"Yeah. Me and Tara both did. Don't worry." He assured.

"This is so bad. It's the third night I didn't get to kiss my baby goodnight." Nandini complained. Manik chuckled at her and cradled her head in his legs.

"She's a kid Nandu. I am sure she won't mind." He guaranteed. "Now come on, get changed and then we'll sleep too."

"Tch. Manik please no! I don't wanna change." Manik realised she was extra tired today and he gave up insisting. Instead, he pulled her up the bed and got her under the covers.

"Alright then, let me tell you a princess story, with the unicorn." He suggetsed. "It'll help you sleep quicker." Manik pulled over the duvet.

Nandini smiled in content and snuggled up against his chest, never even realising when she fell asleep.

A few hours into the rainy night, Manik's sleep broke due to noisy cries. Nandini too stirred beside him. Fully waking up, he realised the sound was coming from Tara's room.

"I think Tara woke up due to the lightning." Nandini mumbled, half asleep, trying to wake up. "You go back to sleep, I'll check on her." Manik asserted and got out of the bed.

Walking to Tara's room Manik thought, the sound of vigourous thunders might have scared her. But as he switched on the room lights, he found Tara dripped in sweat and thrusting against the bed. Crying loudly in her sleep, she was trying to call someone.

End of chapter.

NO COMMENT GOAL THIS TIME. HONESTLY I DON'T CARE ABOUT THE NUMBERS ANYMORE. NEXT CHAPTER WILL BE POSTED TOMORROW HOPEFULLY.

I AM JUST GLAD THAT YOU GUYS ARE READING MY STORY AND LIKING IT AND ARE ABLE TO RELATE TO IT.

MASSIVE THANK YOU FOR ALL THE VOTES AND COMMENTS. I ESPECIALLY LOVE THE INLINES. PLEASE DO SHARE THE STORY IF YOU LIKE IT.

HOPE YOU ARE ALL OKAY. TAKE CARE. XXX

THANK YOU FOR READING.