Chapter 28

IT'S MY BIRTHDAY TODAY!

HAPPY READING

"Okay, just remember to drink all the medicine mumma gives you and eat all the food" Manik told her which earned him another nod "I love you so much, baby."

"Love you" Tara said and passed a sloppy flying kiss to the camera which Manik expertly caught.

He hung up the call after a little while after multiple assurances to his family that he would be home soon.

When Manik's father walked in the meeting room he found his son slumped on the desk chair, sadly looking at his phone.

"What's wrong beta?" He enquired.

His voice startled Manik, as he junped , and stood up. Even though it was just his father, he was well taught that he would still be his boss in the office.

"N-Nothing dad. Just..." his voice fell.

"Manik what is going on? Tell me." He asked, concerned.

"Woh, I was talking to Tara. She's kind of sick." He confessed. "She has fever and sore throat and what not."

"Hmmm" Manik's father thought for a while and then eyed Manik who was looking down. "Do you, want to go back home?" He asked.

Manik's head shot up in surprise. He looked ecstatic for a moment but then his face fell straight again.

"No dad. I don't want to go home." He answered. "You've always taught me to prioritize my work before anything else. And also this is a major project."

"I know what I taught you son. And I am proud of you for remembering that." Mr. Malhotra said as he sat himself on a chair and motioned Manik to sit down too.

"So let me teach you another thing." He began. "Work must always come first. But, never before family. Always remember we work only for our family. And if they are in need of you, you better skip any damn project."

Manik listened to the words pouring out of his father's mouth but he still looked skeptical.

"Oh come on Mr. COO!" Manik's father humoured. "Look at your face. You miss your daughter and wife so much! Attend this meeting and fly back home. I am sure they miss you too."

Manik's face broke into a smile and he quickly started getting ready for the meeting also managing to book his flight home. He decided to not tell Nandini just yet. He could just show up at the doorstep and surprise his ladies.

About half and hour later the meeting began. The project was for a certain Mr. White who wanted to open several branches of his renowned self-owned restaurant, all over the world. Malhotras' company was basically supposed to provide them the finances. If they got selected for this, it could be their biggest project yet. The only thorn in the bed of roses was Harshad Saxena.

Harshad Saxena was a well established owner of Saxena Finaces. He had started the company on his own when he was just twenty-two years old. And since then he had all his intelligence as well as his cunningness to win over the market. But Harshad was too proud for his own good.

Both the companies were supposed to file their tenders for today and present them on the next day.

Harshad and Manik's teams were seated around the conference tabel when Mr. White walked in. Harshad submitted his tender first and Manik followed. They all discussed the pros and cons of each other for a few hours.

"Well I think this will be it for now." Mr. White declared in his thick American accent. "We'll decide the final contendant tomorrow after you both present it."