CHAPTER 25 Deputy

I follow Mr Hanlock towards the office. There is a awkward silence between us. We reach the office. "Tom" calls Mr Hanlock, "sit here, I'll talk to Mrs King" he says.

I sit for about 10 minutes. "All of me loves all of you, loves your curves and all your edges all your perfect imperfections" (John Legend. All of me) they changed the bell. I hear the door open and out pops Mrs King and Mr Hanlock. Mrs King walks towards me and stands In front of me.

"What have you done now!" She asks in a stressed voice. Mr Hanlock sits next to me and Mrs King leaves the office. "Where is she going" I ask in concerned voice to Mr Hanlock, "she's gone to see the damage" he says back to me.

Back home
Well it turns out the science classrooms have just been redone with new windows and Mrs King is not happy at all. I have to pay $540 to replace the window. And thanks to Mr Hanlock I'm not suspended.

I walk in the door after a long day at school. There stands mum with a frown on her face. "Hey mum" I say hugging her. She doesn't hug back.

"Sit down Tom" she asks. I walk towards the couch. "Want to tell me anything son?" Mum asks while walking up and down. I just follow her with my eyes as she walks up and down. "I got a phone call from Mrs King today" she says in a not so surprised voice. "You broke a window, how did you manage that?". She yells. "I..." Begin talking but am interrupted suddenly, "I don't want to hear it", yells mum! Your grounded!

So I have to pay the $540. But I can't! I don't have any money! I run to my room and get out my Mac. Jobs for a 12 year old. (I'm not 13 yet, I am next week!). There are a few, but they aren't good! "Ah ha" I say. I find a job at Hoyts cinema. I open the web page. It reads 'job wanted, cinema cleaner, 12 and over'

Well it doesn't seem like the greatest job, but you have got to start somewhere. I run out of my room and down the stairs. Mums in the kitchen cooking dinner and dad is reading the newspaper and watching Prime 7 news. "Hey dad" I call. "I'm busy" he replies. "Ask your mother" he finishes.

I run to the kitchen, slip on a puddle of water, fall on my bottom knocking the boiling water of the stove, falling on mums foot. "Ooouuuuccchhh" she lets out the biggest yelp. There is boiling hot water burning her foot. Dad and Sam rush in. "Tom get the ice" mum yells. I open the freezer, there's no ice, no peas nothing. I open the fridge. There is a steak in a bowl half frozen, it will do. I grab it and pass it to mum. She put it on her foot and sits down.