Chapter One

Six Years Earlier
Ethan's POV

"Ethan. Come on, wake up." Grayson yelled.

"Ugh." I said, putting one of my pillows on top of my head. "Do we have to go?"

"It's the first fucking day, Ethan! Yes, we have to go to school."

"Do we have practice after school?"

"Not today. Coach said we aren't starting for two weeks."

"Okay." I said. I groaned as I sat up. "Why the hell is our first day on a Tuesday?"

"I guess our school wanted to start after Labor Day this year. Come on, get up. Mom and Cam made breakfast and it's getting cold." Grayson said.

I got up, and Grayson left my room, so I got dressed.

I gelled up my hair and went downstairs, grabbing a burrito on my way out the door.

"Ethan, wait!" My mom yelled.

I turned around with my mouth full of burrito.

"Yeah, mom?"

"Let me get a picture of you and your brother." She said. Grayson was standing happily next to her.

I put my burrito down, and walked over by Gray.

"Smile!" My mom said. "On the count of three."

We took some pictures before my mom hugged us goodbye.

"Have a good day at school, boys. I can't believe my babies are seniors!" She said, wiping a tear from her eye.

Grayson and I both started walking to the door.

"Bye mom." We both said.

We got in Grayson's car, and he started driving through our neighborhood, on the way to school.

"Wanna get coffee? We have time." Asked Gray.

"Sure."

We pulled into the Starbucks parking lot, and went inside.

There was a girl sitting alone with her iced coffee, and she looked about our age.

I've never seen her before, and I wondered if she went to our school.

I doubt it. We live in a suburb of Chicago and there's a ton of high schools around here.

What were the chances that she went to Northbrook?

Anyway, Grayson and I ordered our drinks before we sat down at another table.

The girl got up and put her backpack on, taking her iced coffee and leaving.

"I wonder if she goes to our school." Said Grayson, luring me out of my thoughts.

"Who?"

"That girl that was sitting there."

"Oh. Yeah. I have no clue."