Chapter Seventeen

Ethan's POV
Friday, December 16th, Six Years Ago

"Ethan, wake up. I have a surprise for you." Emma said, shaking me awake.

"Emma, how'd you get here?" I asked. I was genuinely curious because she didn't spend the night, and she can't drive.

"My mom dropped me off. I made you some birthday pancakes."

At this moment I wrapped my arms around her and pulled her down onto the bed, flipping us over so I was hovering, and I gave her a long peck on the lips.

"Happy Birthday, love." She said, smiling up at me.

"Thank you, babe."

"Go wake up your twin brother. He has pancakes waiting for him too." She said, getting up and going downstairs.

I threw a shirt and some jeans on before going into Grayson's room and hitting him with a pillow.

"Happy Birthday, you doofus. My girlfriend made us pancakes, so get downstairs."

"Ethan, stop hitting me. Happy birthday to you too, you ass."

"Come on. You've gotta try these pancakes."

I went downstairs to see Emma putting a few little plates of pancakes on the table, and she stuck birthday candles into my stack, and into Grayson's stack.

"Hey, birthday boy." She said, smiling at me.

I sat down, and she poured me a glass of homemade orange juice. This girl!

Grayson came in a moment later, sitting to my right as Emma poured him some OJ.

"Thanks, Emma. This looks great." He said.

"Happy Birthday." She responded, sitting next to me on the other side.

Grayson and I both blew out the candles before sticking them on a different plate, and digging into our breakfasts.

"Ethan, does Emma have a twin sister that knows how to make these pancakes?"

I playfully hit him in the arm.

"Nope. Emma's one of a kind."

"Sorry, Gray." She said, eating a bite of her pancakes.

"These are amazing, Em." He responded.

She smiled. "Thanks. I used my secret ingredient."

"Yeah. The cinnamon." Grayson guessed.

Emma laughed. "Nope. That's too obvious to be secret."

"She still won't tell me, Gray." I told him. He shrugged.

"As long as she makes them for us, we don't have to know anyway." He said, chuckling.

We did our secret handshake before we ate the rest of our meal.

-
After School

Emma, Grayson, Emma's friend Taylor and I were getting in the car, ready to leave for our trip. Taylor was driving, because she had a Jeep like mine, but she and Emma were the ones who knew where we were going.

What we didn't know was that Taylor and Grayson had started talking after a party we all went to a few weeks ago.

So, she was coming with us. Emma was excited about it.

"So, Emma. Are you gonna tell us where we're going?" I asked.

"Downtown, babe." She said, turning around in the passenger seat to face me. I was sitting on the same side of the car as her, but in the backseat. "We're partying hard tonight."