Chapter Twenty

Christmas Eve
Ethan's POV

Emma's laugh was one of my favorite sounds in the entire world.

It was the kind of laugh that made you laugh too, because whenever she laughed you could tell how happy she was.

I don't know how, but every time I made food with Emma it ended with flour going everywhere.

So, most of the time I just kept her company while she made food.

This time we were making Christmas cookies, and you guessed it—I was covered in flour.

"Hey, snowman." Emma teased.

"What, babe?"

"Can you hand me the frosting please?"

"Sure, girl."

I handed it to her and she went to work on a bell-shaped cookie, holding it up for me to see.

It said "E+ E", and it had a heart around it.

"Cute." I said.

She smiled and started frosting another one. This time it just had my name with a heart around it.

She tried to give it to me, but I told her to eat it because she has my heart, so a few seconds later she handed me a different one that had 'Emma' written with a heart around it.

I ate that one, and let me tell you, those cookies were awesome.

Eventually we sat down with her mom and ate a home cooked meal that Sophia had made for us, and it was amazing.

Emma wanted me to help put the last Christmas ornaments on the tree, and it was really cool because I got to see all of the homemade ornaments she had made throughout grade school, and some of her little kid pictures that were on them. She was a really cute little kid.

The tree was lit with colorful lights, and we sat down next to the fireplace before we all exchanged gifts.

Emma and I tag teamed for her mom's gift, which was a gift certificate to one of her favorite shops in the Downtown area.

She got Emma and I some tickets to see Wicked in Downtown Chicago, which Emma was super excited about. I guess it was a tradition for her to see musicals every few years.

Emma and I decided she would give me my present from her that night, and I would give hers to her when we celebrated with my family.

It was a small box, and I opened it to find:

"No way! Tame Impala tickets?"

"Close to the stage too." Emma said.

There were three tickets, one for me, one for her, and one for my twin brother.

Because she's thoughtful like that.

"Thanks, Emma. I love it."

"You're welcome, babe."

-

We drank hot chocolate by the fire in the fire place, and talked about Christmas and how excited we were for New Years coming up.

As we went to sleep that night, Emma crawled on top of me and put one of her legs on each side of me, then laying her head down on my chest.

"Someone's cuddly tonight." I teased.

She sighed. "I'm just loving on you."

"Wanna make out or something?" I asked, smirking at her. She scooted up a little bit, and smiled down at me before she pressed her lips to mine.

Our lips moved in sync as my hands traveled to the small of her back, and she moaned into my mouth as I slipped my tongue into hers.

After a few minutes we both pulled away for air, her lips brushing against mine as she spoke.

"Merry Christmas. I love spending this time with you."

"Awe. I love spending this with you too. Merry Christmas." I responded, pecking her lips.

She kissed me on the cheek and then nuzzled her head into my neck. "I love you, Ethan."

"I love you too, babygirl."

-
Ethan's POV
Present Day

Every time I think about Emma I realize that she would still fit perfectly into my family.

Based on the stories I've told to Tenley about 'the girl I used to love', she would absolutely love Emma.

I know that Emma would love Tenley too. I know it might take her a minute to get used to the fact that I had a child while she was gone, but I know she would understand the situation once it was explained.

That's just who Emma is. She's one of the most understanding people in the whole world. I always loved that about her.

You know, these days I keep myself busy with work and taking care of my family, but at the end of the day when I go to bed I'm more than aware that I'm still missing Emma.

I'm more than aware that her side of the bed is empty, and I'm more than aware that I have no idea how her life panned out.

What I hate the most is that we were forced apart. Both of us wanted to stay together, but the dammed court system in the State of Illinois decided that her father was more financially stable, and since she wasn't 18 yet, she needed to live with him.

It wasn't her fault that we lost contact either. Her corrupt dad shut down her phone number, and gave her a new phone that was only programmed with three numbers.

Her mom's, her dad's, and 911.

All other 'unapproved' numbers (by her father) were blocked from the phone, so she physically couldn't reach anyone but her mom and dad. 

I hated that this wasn't either of our faults.

Emma and I could've made long distance work, but her dad had already told her of the new phone he was giving to her, therefore we both knew that we'd lose contact.

-
Emma's POV
Present Day

I resented my father for this. He's the reason I don't know anything about where Ethan is, or what he's been doing. He's the reason I lost the love of my life.

Ethan and I promised each other that we'll find each other someday, no matter how long it takes.

I just wanna feel his arms around me again. I just wanna be next to him.

I try to distract myself with work and my best friends, but at the end of the day when I go home, I'm still turning in at night to an empty bed. One where Ethan's side is empty.

And every part of me wishes he would somehow climb in next to me, and everything would finally be okay again.