Chapter Thirty One

Ethan's POV
The Next Day

Today is Thursday, and my mom picked Tenley up from school, and I decided to go grocery shopping after work.

I was in the vegan pasta section when I heard a voice I'd recognize anywhere.

I quickly grabbed three boxes of the pasta and threw it in the cart before taking a deep breath and pushing the shopping cart towards the wine section.

There she was.

She was on the phone while deciding between two bottles of Chardonnay.

I pushed the cart down the aisle until I was standing across from her. She was still facing the other way.

"Emma." I said.

She quickly picked a bottle of white and put it in her basket before putting the other one back.

"Taylor, let me call you back." She said. Okay. Bye."

She took a deep breath and I couldn't help but smile as she turned around.

We both walked towards each other, and I wrapped my arms around her as tightly as I could.

She hugged me back with the same intensity, and let me tell you that it was the first time I wasn't tense in six years.

"I missed you so much." She said.

"Thank God you're finally home." I said, my nose landing into her hair as I nuzzled into her.

We pulled away from each other, and Emma had tears in her eyes.

"How are you?" She asked.

"I've been doing okay. I just really fucking missed you." I responded, pulling her back into another hug.

"Ethan, I cant even describe how much I missed you."

"Do you wanna get drinks tomorrow night?"

"I would love that." She said.

I took out my phone and handed it to her.

"Here. Put your number in. I'm gonna need it."

She handed me her phone as well. "You too."

Once we finished giving each other our numbers, we just looked at each other and laughed.

Emma looked really pretty. She definitely has a California tan, and her hair is blonder.

"We have a lot to catch up on."  I said.

"Ethan, I have so much to tell you."

"I bet you I have more." I teased. "When'd you get back?" I asked.

"Yesterday. I guess the universe wanted us to find each other right away, huh?" She answered.

"It owes us that favor." I responded. She laughed at my joke. "God, I'm so glad you're back."

"It feels good to be back, Ethan."

"I'm looking forward to our date tomorrow." I responded.

"Oooh you're considering it a date?"

"It's us, Emma. What else would it be?"

"I'm very much looking forward to it too."

"I'll text you the details."

"Perfect." She said. "See you tomorrow, E."

"Bye, girl."

Man I missed calling her that. She smiled and waved at me before walking away.