Chapter Twenty One

Emma's POV
Christmas Day

Ethan's alarm went off, so we got up and dressed for the day, and headed off to his house for breakfast.

I made pancakes for Ethan's family because Ethan insisted that they try my famous cinnamon pancakes, and they loved them.

For their family Christmas, we went to a church hall for a big family Christmas reunion. I got to meet a ton of his second and third cousins, his great aunts and uncles, and of course his grandparents.

Everyone was super nice to me, and I felt very welcome. We ate good food, and they had family games that everyone participated in, and it as super fun.

Ethan must have told someone that I like coffee because I received a lot of Starbucks gift cards from various family members.

It was fun, and eventually we went back to Ethan's house to do family Christmas with just his parents and siblings.

Grayson gave Ethan and I tickets to a Chicago Blackhawks game, and Ethan's parents gave us money to spend on a nice dinner.

Ethan smiled at me before he grabbed a small but longer wrapped box, and handing it to me.

I opened it, and it was a beautiful silver necklace with the letter E attached to it.

"Ethan, this is so pretty!" I said. "Thank you."

He smiled and kissed me on the cheek before he helped me put it on, and I gave him a hug.

"I love it."

"You're welcome, sweets."

-

The rest of the day was spent watching Christmas movies with Ethan's family, and it was super fun.

Ethan's family always made sure I felt welcome, and like I was already a part of their family.

They always made me feel like I was at home when I was at their house, and it really was a second home to me.

Ethan and I went to sleep that night enveloped in each other's arms, and let me tell you that I never took any of those moments for granted.

-
Emma's POV
Present Day

Ethan was so special to me, and I definitely cherished every second I had with him. I'm glad I did.

It's Christmas time right now, and as I'm putting the decorations on my tree, I can't help but play with my necklace.

It's one of the only pieces of Ethan I have left, and I really want to go home.

When I moved to California, I got out of my dad's house as soon as I turned 18, and I went to college.

I spent the next four years working on a degree in public relations and communications. It kept me busy, but I missed Ethan the whole time.

One thing I can tell you about my dad is that he is manipulative, and controlling, and I'm glad I escaped from his toxicity as quickly as I was able to.

I made a close friend group of girls while I was in college, and from sophomore to senior year we all rented a house together.

After I graduated and got a job in LA, one of my roommates Tessa and I got an apartment together.

She eventually moved out, and that was when my current roommate Alana moved in, and I've been here ever since.

New Year's is coming up, and my resolution is to start doing things to make me happy rather than doing things because I feel like I have to.