Chapter Twenty Six

Emma's POV
Present Day

I sat down at the table in my kitchen with my coffee, and looked across the table at my roommate Alana.

"I'm moving back to Chicago in three months."

"What?"

"I found a house and a job out there, and it's where I belong. Chicago's home. I've been home sick for six years. It's time I go home."

"I'm gonna miss you."

"I'll be back to visit, Lana. Don't worry. I'll keep in touch with you. I just need to be happy again, and I love LA, but it's not where I need to be."

"You deserve to be happy, Emma. I'm really proud of you."

"Thanks, Lana. Now, do you wanna go with me to sell my car to the lot down the road? I'm getting a new car before I leave. I'll need a ride to the car dealership on Melrose."

"I would love to accompany you."

"Thanks, Lana. I already cleaned out my car and called the place, so I just have some papers to sign, and then I'll get my new car."

"What kind of car are you getting?"

"I'm getting a Honda CRV."

"Those are really nice."

"I'm excited for it."

Three more months. I can't wait to go home.

-
Emma's POV
March, Six Years Ago.

The last month and a half was pretty routine. Going to school, hanging out and studying with Ethan every day, going to parties on the weekends, taking weekend trips to my uncle's cabin, or staying at my cousin Ryan's penthouse Downtown.

Ethan and I spent almost every waking, (and sleeping) moment together. We basically lived at each other's houses, and we had non-stop sleepovers (which means lots of sex).

We had a Valentine's Day dinner at my house (I made a home-cooked meal for Ethan, and he loved it), and it was a really special night for us.

Most of the events that happened between then and the day I'm about to tell you about were none other than the normal, routine days and nights I just mentioned.

But the day of the court hearing to decide whether I'd be staying in Chicago or going away to California was a terrible day.

I was super stressed, and Ethan was helping me through it. I couldn't stop thinking about everything. I mean, I was a few hours away from knowing if I had two weeks left to spend with the love of my life for a long time.

Him and Grayson were both there to support me, along with my best friend Taylor, and her mom Amy.

Ethan gripped my hand tightly when the judge stood up.

"The custody of Emma Frances Chamberlain will now go to her father, Michael Chamberlain. She has until April 1st to pack her things and move to his house."

"No." I whispered. "No. No. No. No. no." I said, Ethan already hugging me so tightly.

I cried to him. For us. For him. For me. He held me as I quietly sobbed into his chest.

I felt his cheek against the top of my head, and I felt him crying too.

"Come on. We're going home." He said. We walked out of the Courthouse, holding each other's hands with a death grip as we walked to his Jeep.