Chapter 3

Maggie slowly tiptoed closer to the door of her uncle Christopher's study, with each step she tried desperately not to create any sound on the floorboards beneath her. Her breathing, for once, was steady as she tucked a strand of black hair that had escaped her braid back behind her ear. Her eyes were focused on the small room just in front of her.

"I'm not interested in whether they locked up a 16 - year - old kid. I'm interested in what's going to happen to that 16 - year - old when the moon hits its peak tonight. Do we have proof?" she heard her grandpa say, talking quietly to her uncle who had his back to the door behind him. She furrowed her eyebrows in confusion as she pressed her ear up against the wall.

"Is the next step killing him?" her uncle's voice was sharp, almost taken back by his fathers decision.
"The next step is eliminating the threat. Do we have proof?"

Her grandpa seemed to edge closer to his son as his patience grew thinner. Maggie knew he would never let someone stand in his way of his version of "justice" and as much as Maggie valued her Grandpa's company, she couldn't help but disagree with every aspect of his decisions.

"Do we have proof or not?" Her Grandpa bellowed, his teeth clenched together as he attempted to intimidate his son.

"Not irrefutable. But not insignificant. The driver's side door of Lahey's car was pried off"

"Pried off?"

"Ripped off..." her uncle sighed, knowing that what he has said was fueling his fathers need to eliminate the "threat."

"They're going to kill him..." she whispered to herself.

Maggie quickly pushed herself away from the wall and made her way towards the backdoor of the house. She couldn't just let a boy die without solid proof, that was definitely not the way things should work. She quietly slid on her jumper and wedged her feed into her trainers before opening the lock and running as fast as she could. The air engulfing her was ice cold, she'd never been so chilly. Branches scratched across her face and leaves crunched beneath her as she made her way towards the police station.

The building slowly came into her sight as she slid down the small grass hill behind it. A few of the windows were barred making each and every brick seem more intimidating. After a few moments catching her breath she grasped the drain pipe and began hoisting herself up the wall being careful to not let the attachments buckle underneath her. Sweat began to transfer from her palms to the paintwork underneath them as she neared the top of the building, Maggie hooked her fingers over the lip of the roof and pulled herself the rest of the way over. She stayed huddled over to ensure that nobody would be alerted of her presence as she made her way over to the small vent opening at the other end of the roof.
The lid of the vent became loose as she began to pull at the screws holding it closed. She pushed it across out of her way careful not to make any noise as dangled her feet in the hole and slid herself down into the dusty ventilation systems. The darkness surrounded her making her stomach turn to knots as she attempted to find the holding cell the teenager was locked inside. Growls could be heard echoing around she came to a holt next to some metal bars. A tall boy had his hands pressed against the door of the cell, anger running through his veins as he started pushing at the door. Footsteps were running in the direction of the cell as she braced herself for the conversation she was about to have.

"I don't know who you are, or what you have done but you have to get out of here before they kill you" She stated making the frightened teenager turn on his heels. Her stared at her confused.
"Who are you?" he asked getting closer and putting his hands on the bars infront of Maggie.
"That doesn't matter, you have to get out of here and fast!" She warned before turning around in the vent, the walls seemed to be closing in on her. Each breath she took seemed to be getting shorter and the air seemed to be thinner.

"Why should i trust you?" the boy snarled, small fangs becomming visible as his top lip seemed to shudder. 

"I never said you should"

Her head was slowly growing tighter as she crawled her way back through the vents, finally catching a decent breath as she pushed her way out of the top. Her hands and knees were pressed against the concrete roof beneath her as she began thinking about the consequences of her actions. Carefully the lid was pushed back into place before she fled the scene and entered the dark Forrest once again, surrounded by the whispers of the trees.