Chapter 39

Maggie hugged her jacket as she walked through the cold streets of Beacon Hills. The tips of her fingers wiped away the few tears that fell, throwing the small droplets to the cold concrete outside the Stilinski residence. Never before had she wished for friends, yet arriving in this small town encouraged her to try and now nothing but regret ran through her veins. She used to drill it into her mind - friends means letting down your guard - and now that she had broke it down, there was no way she could build it back up. She could feel her chest closing up and her hands perspiring. Her vision began to blur. She was, for all intensive purposes, having a breakdown.

The wind pushed her hair side to side as the crescent moon bounced of her freshly washed waves. If she wanted to, she could of easily taken off into the night, golden eyes piercing through the trees and tail willingly following behind her - but she didn't. Those 'friends' she had, needed her and as much as she hated it, she needed them.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Scott leaned against the front of Christopher's car, his hands pressed firmly against the bonnet as he waited for Derek to arrive at their destination. Confidence radiated off him, it was almost like bubble wrapped around his perfect figure. Isaac stood to the right of the car, his left hand gripping the top of the door as he continuously checked on their 'dead' friend. Both boys would protect their pack at any cost and even though Derek was the alpha, they both new Scott would be the wolf to turn to if things went south.
With a huge huff Maggie strode towards them, a small fake small plastered on her face as she nodded at them.

"Where's Stiles?" Scott asked, his eyebrows furrowed together as he stared at her. She simply shook her head at him, refusing to talk about the previous hour of her life as she placed her hand on the window edge next to Isaac and glanced into the vehicle.

"You know he's stopped moving right?" she asked, her heart skipping a beat as she pushed her head into the car and poked the black body bag .

"Where's Derek?" Christopher asked, uncomfortably searching the area for the alpha, and purposely trying not to make eye contact with his niece.

A dark figure appeared at the end of the ally, racing towards them on all fours. Harsh grunts escaped the jaws of the creature and claws scraped across the concrete floor as it ran. Bright red orbs protruded from its face and to any other person it would have been horrifying- but she thought it was beautiful.

Derek stopped in front of them, his head snapping upwards as he glanced between the wolves and the hunter.
"I'm here for Jackson. Not you" Chrisopher said, his hands tucked firmly in his jean pockets.

"Somehow, I don't find that very comforting" Derek sighed "Get him inside"

Scott nodded towards Maggie before gesturing towards Jackson's jelly surrounded body. She wrapped her hands around the bottom, gripping his legs and pulling him slowly from vehicle.

"Try not to drop him this time" she smirked towards Isaac as he caught the top end of the bag and helped her move Jackson inside the abandoned building.

"Oh ha ha" he stated, trying hard to ensure a smirk didn't crawl onto his face.

"Okay put him here"

Rain water had occupied the building, leaving puddle scattered around the floor and damp moss across the brick walls.

"Where are they?" Scott asked, clearly irritated.

"Who?"

"Peter and Lydia" he clarified as Derek bent down and began to unzip the body bag "Whoa, hold on a second. You said you knew how to save him!"

"We're past that"

"What about -"

"Think about it Scott. Gerard controls him now. He's turned Jackson into his own person guard dog. He sat all this in motion so Jackson could get bigger and more powerful!" Derek yelled, his voice getting louder as he spoke.

"No. No, he wouldn't do that. If Jackson's a dog, he's turning rabid and my father wouldn't let a rabid dog live" Christopher said, confused by the conversation.

"Of course not. Anything that dangerous, that out of control - is better of dead" Gerard smirked as Jackson's hand flew from the bag towards Derek. Before anyone could move his claws had embedded themselves in his stomach allowing dark blood to drip down his arms as he thrust him upwards. Derek gagged as he was thrown across the room. His arms and legs flew out in front of him before he crashed against the wall and fell to the floor. Maggie quickly dived towards Jackson as he rose from the bag. Her claws pierced through her fingertips and fangs dropped from her gums as she ran. Quickly, she swiped her right arm to the side, scratching the neck of the Kanima as he swallowed the skin of Jackson as changed into its true form. Her claws barely made a scratch on the creature as she continued to protect herself. No matter how quick she was the Kanima was always faster.

Isaac soon joined the fight, darting towards the monster and jumping over the car. He landed on his back only for the Kanima to whip him across the room with its tale. Maggie still hung on, continuously slicing it's rubber like skin as he tried to pry her off. The anger she had been hiding for so long was finally being let out - but as Maggie raised her arm once more an arrow made its way through her shoulder blade causing her to howl out in pain.