Chapter 37

Maggie stood over the corpse of her classmate. Her hands shook as she stared at the slime-like substance that covered his limbs. It seemed to be preserving his body, buying himself some time to come back to life. To cheat death. His skin was a sickly shade of blue, his fingertips the darkest turquoise. Claws penetrated through them, allowing venom to drop onto the black body bag he was confined to. He was completely unclothed, each cell of his body was visible as he lay on the metal fixture, like a piece of meat on display.

"What the hell is happening to him?" Maggie asked, edging closer towards the shell of a Kanima. Scott stood behind her, protecting his scared mother as she grimaced at the sight before her.

"I have no idea" she breathed, uncrossing her arms "I was hoping one of you could tell me"

They all stared at each other. This situation would confuse even the smartest minds. The tension in the air was practically visible - like small granules left at the bottom of a glass of dissolved aspirin.

Isaac was the frost to speak. He placed one hand either side of Jackson's head before opening his mouth "Is it bad?" He glared at the body beneath him, unsure of how he would react if Jackson were to move.

"Well it doesn't look good" Scott said as Jackson's body jolted to the side and began to wobble. His torso rocked side to side, the jelly substance encasing him loving rapidly as he did so.

"Whoa" Isaac breathed, pulling Maggie back by her arm.

"Well shit..." she said "I don't think he's dead"

Once again they all stared at each other in panic as he continues to rock.

"Erm mom..." Scott mumbled "Could you zip him up please!"

Reluctantly, Melissa stepped forward, her right hand stretched out in front of her as she reached for the small zip on the body bag. As she grasped the plastic clip the body began to continuously shake. His jaw dropped open, revealing two rows of hideously sharp teeth.

"Mom...zip"

He jolted again.

"Melissa. Zip. Now!" Maggie yelled stepping towards the woman and helping her tug at the contraption. Once they had successfully contained Jackson, Scott pulled his phone from the front pocket of his jeans and called Derek.

"No Derek. He's in some sort of clear casing" he yelled in a panic "He's starting to move"

"What the hell are we going to do Derek?" Maggie snapped down the phone as she grabbed it from her friends hand.

"You need to bring him to us"

"Yeah well, I'm not so sure we have time for that" she sighed as she watched the black bag move.

"Maggie, get him out of there now! Go now!"

Maggie hung up on the wolf, missing the old days when she could slam a 'flip phone' shit and stuffed it in her pocket "We have to move - and fast"

Scott and Isaac took a worried glance at each other before racing to either end of Jackson's body. Carefully they lifted him up, their supernatural strength aiding them in holding the unmentionably heavy monster. Isaac gripped the top part of him, causiously avoiding any venom, teeth or claws as he did so, whilst Scott for the easy task of holding his feet.

"How is he so heavy?" Isaac complained, his muscles flexing underneath his light blue jacket.

"I'm guessing because of the large amount of clear goo - numbnuts!" Maggie smirked, walking casually by their side as they snuck their way towards the hospital exit. The sky was dark outside the building, completely vacant of stars as the crescent moon shone solely in the night sky. Vehicles were scattered across the car park, each one claiming their own space to reside in whilst their patiently awaited for their owners to return. They had just managed to pass a few cars when Jackson's body fell to the ground, his head slamming of the hard concrete as he landed.

"Fuck sake Isaac would you be careful!" She whispered hardly at the wolf, a smirk evident on her face as she failed at hiding the laughter she was dying to let out. He smirked back at her. She's full of mischief as they both burst out laughing.

"Guys!" Scott yelled "Guys shut up someone's here!"

They both jumped as a car door was slammed shut, revealing her uncle who strode his way towards them. A black leather jacket hung from his shoulders, eagerly shielding his arms and torso from the harsh night breeze. She could see his blue eyes twinkling in the light as he locked his eyes with hers. "You're alone?"

"More than you know" he sighed in return.

"What do you want?"

"We never had much in common Maggie - But right how we have a common enemy"

"That's why we're trying to get him out of here" Scott states from behind them, taking a step closer towards the hunter.

"I didn't mean Jackson"