Chapter 36

Maggie pressed her back firmly against the gym lockers, her hands tucked behind her back as she repeatedly hit the back of her head off the hollow storage unit. Tears danced along her waterline , threatening to fall down her light pink cheeks as she listened to the Sheriff.

"I gotta meet with the medical examiner and try to figure out what happened with Jackson. I've got an APB out on Stiles. His jeep is still in the parking lot, so that means - the hell, I don't know what that means. Look, if he answers his phone, if he answers his emails, if any of you see him - "

"We'll call you" Isaac said quietly as he looked between Maggie and the Sheriff.

"This is my fault - I should have been there" Maggie sighed, rubbing her temples.

"How is this your-"

"Cause I was trying to save your ass" she snapped at Isaac, pushing herself away from the lockers and pointing a finger at the wolf.

"Look, he's probably just freaked out from all the attention or something. We'll find him" Scott intercepted, standing between the two wolves as they squared up to each other.

"All right" the coach said as Mr Stilinski headed back to the station "McCall we need you on the team, okay? And I can't do that if you don't get your grades up"

"I will coach"

"Good" he shouted over his shoulder as he followed Mr Stilinski.

"Is that everyone?"

"I think so" Isaac replied to Scott before Maggie sank her claws into the metal locker and ripped the door from it's hinges,throwing it at his feet. "You're gonna find him by scent?"

"Yeah, we all are" she sighed, throwing a shoe at him.

"But how come you get his shirt and I get a shoe?"

"Because I don't like you - sniff"

Maggie turned her head slightly, towards the door as Derek approached the supernatural students. His hands were placed in his pocket as he spoke. "We need to talk"

"All of us" another voice finished as an unfamiliar male stepped into the room behind him.

"Holy sh -" Scott started but was cut off as Derek interrupted.

"You know, I thought the same thing when I saw you talking to Gerard at the Sheriff's station"

"Okay, hold on. He - he threatened to kill my mom and I had to get close to him. What was I supposed to do?"

"I'm gonna go with Scott on this one. Have you seen his mom? She's gorgeous"

Maggie felt her hands ball into fists as she stared at the strange man in front of her. She could feel her lungs closing as she stared into his eyes.

"Shut up." Scott and Derek yelled in unison as Isaac and Maggie stood in confusion.

"Who is he?" Isaac asked, his head just behind Scott's shoulder as he spoke to his friend.

"That's Peter, Derek's uncle. Little while back, he tried to kill us all, and then we set him on fire, and Derek slashed his throat"

"And he killed my mom" Maggie finished, slightly choking on her sentence as she took a step towards Peter.

"Maggie-"

"Shut up Isaac" she snapped again, never taking her eyes from her mother's killer "You - I'm going to kill you"

As she marched forward Isaac wrapped his arm around her waist, pulling her back towards himself and Scott as Peter smirked. "Careful little wolf - Don't bite of more than you can chew"

"Let go of me Isaac"

"Don't be stupid" he whispered in her ear, his breath trickling down her back as he spoke. Tears were streaming down her face as she gave up struggling.

"How is he alive?" Scott questioned Derek.

"Look, the short version is he knows how to stop Jackson. And maybe how to save him"

"Well, that's very helpful except Jackson's dead" Isaac said quietly, releasing Maggie from his hold and letting her stand at his side.

"What?"

"Yeah, Jackson's dead. It just happened on the field" Scott reiterated to the two male wolves who both stared at the ground.

"Okay, why is no one taking this as good news?" Isaac asked as he furrowed his eyebrows together in confusion.

"Because if Jackson is dead, it didn't just happen. Gerard wanted it to happen" Peter said, his blue eyes focusing on Maggie as he spoke.

"But why?"

"That's exactly what we need to figure out. And something tells me the window of opportunity is closing. Quickly"