Willo-The-Wisp

Category: Monster

Commonality: common

Hazard Level: LOW

Descriptors: Wispy ball of light

Magical Nature: Illusion, Nullifying

Typical Geography: Swamps

The Willo-the-Wisp is a classic monster of many fairy tales in many lands. While itself relatively harmless, the Willo-the-Wisp works in conjunction with several other types of monsters; the Waldgeist, Wraith, and Pale among them; to hunt prey. They are one of the only light sources in the depths of the swamps they inhabit, and the sight of one often means something much worse is lurking nearby.

These small monsters are not worth fighting. It benefits the adventurer much more to focus on locating and defeating whatever dangerous creature they have attached themselves to. During any battle, the Willo-the-Wisp will often try to get in the way of its victim, trying to blind them with their bright light in the darkness of the swamp. To avoid getting this close, simply swat it away and focus on the monster at hand.

After defeating the monster, if one is quick to recover, they can capture the Willo-the-Wisp and use it as a light source. Animals and other monsters in the swamps recognize the light of a Willo-the-Wisp and will typically run away from it, possibly making the remainder of the journey much easier for the lucky adventurer. The adventurer must be very quick, though, as the Willo-the-Wisp will flee quickly to find a new monster to attach itself to.